We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballyvaughan or Kinvara for 3 nights

Washingtonville...
Level Contributor
47 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Ballyvaughan or Kinvara for 3 nights

Hi all,

Looking for your thoughts on whether to stay at Ballyvaughan B&B or Kinvara B&B for 3-nights after flying into Shannon from US. Pros/Cons. Thanks for your help.

Jerry

5 replies to this topic
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ballyvaughan or Kinvara for 3 nights

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either location ;-)

Both villages lie on the main route from Galway to the Cliffs of Moher, and are popular stopover locations for folk wishing to explore the Burren. Kinvara has slightly less choice in accommodation and a handful of restaurants and pubs; certainly enough choice for a few days. There's a nice farmers' market on Fridays, with live music; great fun! I think Kinvara has a less "touristy" feel compared with Ballyvaughan.

. Ballyvaughan has a greater range of accommodation options (although be aware that some aren't "in" the village centre, but may be a few minutes drive away), and again, enough options for dinner that you wouldn't have to eat at the same place if you didn't want to. I've stayed at Waters Country House and Drumcreehy Lodge; both on the outskirts, but they both have nice locations. Would be happy to recommend either. We tend to eat at Logue's if we want a simple pub supper, or L'Arco if we fancy Italian (very nice!):

http://www.drumcreehyhouse.com/1,2,Home.html

http://www.thewaterscountryhouse.com/

logueslodge.ie/restaurant_bar_ballyvaughan_c…

http://www.burrenrestaurant.com/

Delicious lunches here - amazing cakes :

http://www.tearoomsballyvaughan.com/

Things to see/do in the area :

http://www.burrenbeo.com/burren

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren…

flickr.com/photos/…

Edited: 15 May 2014, 21:16
Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,993 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ballyvaughan or Kinvara for 3 nights

Kinvara always gets my vote, lots of food and drink options good accommodation options.. Handy for daytriping up to Galway and Connemara, down into Clare (west Clare anyway)

Ballyvaughan, tourist option for those who think Doolin too touristy, few of the Burren sights on the doorstep, handy for Fanore Beach on the Black Head coastal drive.. SG likes the place a lot..

I have linked a map with some features in West Clare on your other question. when are you over here?

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ballyvaughan or Kinvara for 3 nights

Depends on your touring goals. Galway, points east and north are better from Kinvara. The Burren, Cliffs of Moher, and points west and south - Ballyvaughan. Popular opinion seems to be that Kinvara might be a shade more picturesque; Ballyvaughan perhaps more dining options. Close to a toss up.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Washingtonville...
Level Contributor
47 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ballyvaughan or Kinvara for 3 nights

We are in the beginning stages of planning a trip for summer 2016, probably a 2 week trip (we are 4, with kids ages 8, 13 at time of travel). We are looking at either end June into early July or the latter half of August. I like to do alot of research and planning obviously. Our plan was to fly into Shannon (from NY) and then drive up to Kinvara or Ballyvaughan and spend 3 nights visiting Burren/Cliffs/an Aran Island. And then head to Dingle for a 2-night stay. And then on to Kenmare for a weeks stay and then back to Oakwood Arms for 1-night before flying back out. We are going to make a pit-stop (but not overnight) in Newcastle West where my wife's great grandparents I think were from. Our general plans at this point are to hit the Burren, Cliffs, Aran Island, Birds of Prey, Dunguaire Castle medieval banquet, perfumery in Burren area, and then the Dingle Peninsula drive when down there. Maybe visit Fungie, Aquarium, Blaskett Island. And then from Kenmare base, do the Beara Peninsula, Muckross, Torc, Sheepfarm, Garnish Island, Dunloe, Killarney Nat. park. Of course, we are interested in catching some Irish music/dance, even some cool farm life/animals whenever we can, including some pubs of course. Any thoughts on itinerary are very welcome. Especially in regard to kids. I think they will go with the flow very well however, certainly our 13 year old girl.

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ballyvaughan or Kinvara for 3 nights

Moher pet farm just south of the Cliffs of Moher is worth a visit for the children

Reply to: Ballyvaughan or Kinvara for 3 nights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kinvara