We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling in May 2013

Keyport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
traveling in May 2013

We are planning an 11 day trip through Ireland. 4 of us are driving. After Kilkenny we want to head to Giant's Causeway. Any suggestions of towns we should see or stay in? We have 4 days before returning to a 2 day stay in Dublin.

9 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
150 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling in May 2013

Heyya, di c;

Killkenny to Giants Causeway is a long haul. The first hard lesson to learn about Ireland is that you can't see everything - you're going to have to make some choices. Four drivers or one, I don't think you want your trip to be a tour of Ireland's inland transportation routes.

It would help to know what choices you've already made: - 4+2=6. Where are you planning for the other 4 days?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling in May 2013

You have a number of directions from Kilkenny to Portrush (a good overnight location for your trip to Giants Causeway).

You can drive up the midlands, taking in Athlone (the Lakelands), Fermanagh, Derry.

You can travel up west, taking in Clare, Galway, Sligo and Donegal

or

You can travel up East, taking in Dublin, Belfast,

Lots of choices there. Whiich one you choose depends on how much time you have allocated to this portion of the trip. I am guessing you will hire a car?

I am confused by how you have currently divided up your 11 days. Could you explain that so that we can better understand your thoughts and help further?

Edited: 22 January 2013, 09:26
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling in May 2013

Apologies, I see that you will have a car, no need to answer that now - obviously ;-O

Keyport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling in May 2013

Thank you Bryno and Robert,

Here is our tentative schedule. Arrive 6 am day 1 - cliffs and burren. Day 2 - Dingle. Day 3 - Killarney. Day 4 - Kenmare Day 5 - Lismore Day 6 -Killkenny

Day 7 ? Day 8 - Ballygally Day 9and 10 Belfast and depart

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Di

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling in May 2013

Sorry - can I just check is it

Day 8 Ballygally (are you staying at the castle on the Antrim coast road?)

Day 9 - is this Ballygally or is this Belfast?

Day 10 - Belfast

Day 11 - home

Keyport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling in May 2013

This should be Dublin, not Belfast - my mistake! Last 2 days in Dublin.

Keyport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling in May 2013

yes we are staying at the castle.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling in May 2013

You know I wouldn't normally advise this but I think with such a short timeframe and your accommodation, you really should head up and overnight in the Causeway area (Bushmills/Portrush/Portstewart for example) from Kilkenny. The reason I say this is Ballygally Castle is on the coast road so if you head straight via the M2 and A26 etc from Belfast to the Causeway (i.e. NOT following the Causeway coastal route), you will then be working your way back and it avoids backtracking.

So on day 8, you can explore the Causeway area (remember that it is best to visit the actual stones early am or later afternoon to avoid the day tour buses) then follow the Causeway Coastal Route back to Ballygally castle. This drive (without stops) will take a good 1.5 hours and covers a scenic route. If adventurous take the Tor Head detour:) This will give you a good length of time to explore the Causeway Coast and glens area as you will be able to do a nice beach walk or even see the stones on the late afternoon/pm of day 7.

I know this means a lot of driving on day 7 but I do think it is the most sensible plan given your accommodation and other plans.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 20:35
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling in May 2013

Take it you arrive into Shannon. If you arrive Dublin day one is a no go! Why 2 bases Killarney and Kenmare when you can practically spit from one to the other given a good wind.

Reply to: traveling in May 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Naas
Recent Conversations