We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east

We will be traveling back to Dublin from Killarney on M7. Are there any restaurants or pubs, just off M7 for a lunch stop, that would be easy to get off and back onto M7?

16 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east

It's not motorway after Limerick. The Dunraven Arms in Adare would be a good choice and you could stretch your legs while there and see the thatched cottages and all the tourists!! Joking aside ,it's a handy place for a break, The Dunraven is on your right as you enter the village so keep an eye out for the carpark to your right once you pass the big gates of Adare Manor (the one on your left with the barrier and security hut)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east

OOOPS I thought it was the other way around disregard last post. I reckon I'd be hungry past Portlaoise so a handy stop would be Kildare Village retail outlet, at the edge of Kildare where there is an Italian restaurant

If Italian is not your thing and the nibbles are kicking in, sooner, you could try http://www.treacys.ie/ just outside Portlaoise. It is not haute cuisine, but good, honest nosh and lots of it!

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east

Matt the Threshers in Birdhill I always enjoy stopping in. Kildare village outlet is also a good suggestion. The restaurant there is nice and you could have a look around the shops to break up the journey. The outlet centre is just off the M7 at junction 13

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,761 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east

There is a food hall (called Midway Food Court) at Junction 17 Portlaoise just off the motorway. http://www.midwaym7.com/

Its not haute cuisine but it is food fuel, it is clean and there is easy parking. The bathrooms are clean too!!

I would also suggest you stop in the Dovecot in Adare Heritage Centre. You will be passing it on the road between Killarney and Limerick. And its about 1/3 of the way (Portlaoise being 2/3 of the way to Dublin).

We always stop in Midway. There's no faffing about and you are in and out quickly.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 20:04
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east

The 'Midway' suggested by Bean A would be my recommendation also - less than a minute from the M7, very easy to get off the motorway and very easy to get back on.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,490 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east

If you don't mind fast food the Midway is perfect. Otherwise Matt the Thresher, their steak and kidney pie is to die for.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east

Personally I would call into Roscrea for a wander around one of Ireland's heritage towns http://www.heritagetowns.com/roscrea.shtml and have pub lunch in the White House www.roscreaonline.ie/content.asp?section=133

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,361 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east

Junction 14 (near Monasterevan) has a filling staion with fast food and coffee outlets.

Closer to Dublin, on the Newbridge side of the Curragh, there is a lovely French style deli CDV at the TRI horseware store. Food is delicious there

Edited: 24 January 2014, 21:38
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east

Bean, thank you for your quick response! Since will be our last day of travel before returning home, and are not in any real hurry , we will consider all of these suggestions, Especially the Hertiage Villages mentioned. Philadelphia Gal

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,761 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east

Thanks Buttons, but Harvey and Irish Eyes got in before me ;o)

If you aren't in a big rush, then you could stop for a bite in Midway but take a quick diversion to either the Newbridge Silver Factory and Display Centre or the National Stud and Japanese Gardens

http://www.newbridgesilverware.com/visit_us

irishnationalstud.ie/visitors/46/japanese-ga…

Reply to: Easy on off lunch stop off M7 east
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Portlaoise
More Portlaoise Topics