We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)

Nothing really to ask, but thought I'd share this photo taken last month during our vacation in Ireland. We were traveling between County Wexford and Rock of Cashel when we happened upon Fethard, completely by chance.

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/52…

This image was created by stitching together four individual photographs taken of the walled city.

13 replies to this topic
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)

That's a super photo, TimeshareVon.

I've driven past Fethard, but haven't visited yet. Another one for the list!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)

Sarnia this was one of the places "along the way" that I think we could have stopped and made a full day out of. Unfortunately, we had gotten a late start in the morning, and had Rock of Cashel plus a couple of other things on our wish list for the day. I'm guessing had we spend any more time at Fethard, we would have been lucky to only get the Rock done.

It was amazing to me how easy it was to get caught up in the sights and views throughout Ireland. I will admit here (since they don't read TA), my DH and MIL were not nearly as interested as "just looking" at stuff as I am. But since he was the driver, I had to be selective (and patient) in my choices :)

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)

That's lovely once again TSV :) Thanks for sharing.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)

Great photo. I had written down Fethard as a possible stop between Kilkenny and Cashel for our trip in September. I am curious to know if you stopped long enough to walk around the town. Did you stop at a place to eat, by chance?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)

Kary unfortunately we spent around 15-20 minutes there on the outer side of the wall. I would have loved to venture into the town but as I said, we had a full day planned on top of a late start, so we didn't do much more than read the sign boards about Fethard and take some photos. Sorry to be of such little help to you.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)

@TimeshareVon

Ah - that's one of the many aspects I love about Ireland: there's always something "just around the corner" to discover. Many a time I've turned off the main road to search an elusive churchyard, castle or stone circle!

:-)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)

You're my type of traveler Sarnia! Me too . . . but my DH isn't as adventurous. To me, getting there is as much a part of the journey as experiencing the destination.

If I weren't freaked out at the thought of driving myself, I would come back and do a couple of weeks without regard to a schedule or plan of activities. I have done that often here in the US and even once one a week long holiday in Holland. It is fun to just get up and go to see what you might see!

Edited: 30 May 2012, 18:40
Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)

Lovely pic timeshare, I didnt know that Fethard is walled, I will be checking it out it looks amazing.

Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)

Fethard is a beautiful town, only now starting to really be seen and heard of! Check out www.backstothewalltours.com for local tourist guides to take you on a walking tour of the town and it's very interesting history. For more info on this very friendly place go to www.fethard.com

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)

Great links wotsmyname thanks :)

Reply to: Photo to Share - Fethard (April 2012)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fethard