We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wicklow National Park

Paris, France
1 post
Save Topic
Wicklow National Park

Hello, I am planning a trip to Dublin, and I would like to take a day trip to do some scenic hiking outside of Dublin. I heard about Wicklow National Park, and I was wondering if it's possible to access this park easily using the DART from Dublin to the Wicklow stop. I will only have public transportation as a mode of traveling. Or, are there any other hikes that you would recommend besides this area? If you have any suggestions regarding this issue, I would be grateful for any input. :)

Thank you!

3 replies to this topic
West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wicklow National Park

Wicklow National Park surrounds the Glendalough Monastic Site and is not easily accessible by public transportation. From Dublin you have two options. 1) Take St Kevin's bus (you'll need to google the web address as I'm doing this from my phone). 2) Take the train to Rathdrum and then a taxi to Glendalough.

Note that the DART only goes as far south as Greystones and does not serve Wicklow or Rathdrum. The regular rail service, which shares the same line, does serve them but us less frequent.

Two lovely scenic walks can be found on the coast by taking the DART. 1) south ti Greystones and then walk back north to Bray, 2) north to Howth and hike around the peninsula.

Keith

Edited: 07 June 2011, 15:16
Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wicklow National Park

Hi. I have an itinerary for Ireland but I think we may be trying to do too much...Can you tell me, if we had 3 hours, would that be enough to see the Monastery and do some hiking?

Thanks!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wicklow National Park

Have a look at the Paddywagon tours for Wicklow.

Reply to: Wicklow National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glendalough Village
More Glendalough Village Topics