We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of "living" in Jersey

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Cost of "living" in Jersey

As opposed to England, how do prices compare.

For food and drink etc.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of "living" in Jersey

We have the usual "plain and simple" such as Pizza Hut, Macdonalds etc. which compares. Pub meals are also great value. In general, I think you will find restaurant food of a higher quality than the UK and the price probably reflects the quality of the food and the cost of rent in Jersey. There are some lovely beachside cafes where I can feed a family of four for around £40 whereas a more upmarket restaurant would probably cost between £30 and £60 per head with alcohol.

Hope this helps.

Jersey
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of "living" in Jersey

I find restaurants and wine very expensive on the island, but as Jerseybaby says there are plenty of options for cafes and bars if you are looking for a more reasonably priced option. Usually when I go with my girlfriend for a nice meal with wine I pay £60 to £80.

There is no VAT on the island so the goods in the shops should be cheaper. In my experience this is not the case, they tend to charge the same.

Grocery shopping is almost the same as England, except for milk and bread which is more expensive.

Rent is a joke. When you're here have a look at the non-qualified house prices (these are the only houses available to non-locals). It makes me laugh/cry.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of "living" in Jersey

Echoing the above the price you pay for eating out and drinking over here is much the same as at home. There are excellent reasonably priced 'pub grub' establishments in and out of town, alongside fast food restaurants and michelin starred restaurants.

Whatever your budget per head I'm quite sure you won't have a problem finding good places to eat all over the island.

If you meant food and drink in so much as groceries then sadly we are hard done by! Having no major supermarkets such as Asda, Tesco etc means that there is no price wars and the Co-op & Checkers chains can pretty much charge what they like! I would guesstimate that my weekly shop comes to about 1/3 more than it would do in Asda (but the quality of living here more than makes up for a few extra pence on your loaf!)

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of "living" in Jersey

Ps....

VAT is often put back on to goods as 'shipping costs' but you will find a lot of shops in town, especially high street chains that will that take 10% off the tag price at the till.

doncaster,UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of "living" in Jersey

We visited in May 2007 and stayed in St Helier.The Bus services are cheap,clean and with helpful drivers,unlike the UK!!!

We found food and drink prices much the same as going out in England.

However car hire and petrol is better than UK.

V.A.T. free zone and main stores often give 10% off at the till.

6. Re: Cost of "living" in Jersey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about St Helier
Recent Conversations