We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free allowances or price of tobacco

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free allowances or price of tobacco

I am considering a trip to Jersey and as my husband uses rolling tobacco I hope somebody can give me some info about the price of this on Jersey or at the airport.

We would be flying from Manchester and am not sure what the duty free allowances etc are for the channel islands.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,284 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free allowances or price of tobacco

The Channel Islands are classified as being outside of the EU for VAT purposes.

You are therefore allowed to bring 200 cigarettes per person into the UK.

Have a look at the following link for further information :-

…hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/…

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
740 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free allowances or price of tobacco

Not sure about the price of rolling tobacco or whether or not they sell it on the plane. It would be cheaper in St. Helier than in the UK. As a guide, it is considerably cheaper buying cigarettes on the plane. Flybe for example sell 200 cigarettes for £20, 400 for £30 and 600 for £40.

There is no access to a duty free shop on arrival in Jersey any longer, only on departure.

Alcohol, particularly spirits are a very good buy. If buying tobacco and not standard cigarettes, it is probably best to price it up in duty free before you get on board.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free allowances or price of tobacco

When i was there last year,

i found the local shops prices for spirits and cigarettes the same as the UK,

but you are allowed to buy at the airport's duty free shops, and pay (so called) duty free prices..? for both outward and inward journey's.

Hope this helps.

York
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free allowances or price of tobacco

I was just wondering the same thing!

It's many years since I went to Jersey, I seem to remember fags being cheaper than the UK, but never looked at rolling tobacco (up to 1998).

However my interest is in the price of Drum or Samson if anyone knows it?

Is Ozouf still open?

York
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free allowances or price of tobacco

Forget that!

Looks like one can only bring a 10pack back, it wouldn't be worth the expense of the flight, never mind the accomodation for that amount!!

Shame.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free allowances or price of tobacco

Off to jersey for a week from Saturday for the Battle of the Flowers and will be taking advantage of the cheap rolling tobacco sold on the return journey on FlyBe-£20 for 10 packs? The tobacco at the duty free shop at Jersey Airport is about £55-£60 per 10 packs, so I would advise purchasing on the return Flight. As been said, the tobacco allowance is 10 packs per person plus of course, 1 bottle of liquour. Have a good holiday.

J Le C.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free allowances or price of tobacco

Thanks everyone for your advice. Have now booked the trip and we go in October staying 3 nights at the Best Western Royal.

We fly with FlyBe so will definitely take advantage of their offers on the plane.

Thanks again.

midlands
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free allowances or price of tobacco

hi there hope it went well we are tempted to do that in nov to get our baccy cheaper,how was it n was it much cheaper,wots the allowance for fags n baccy.

ur comments would be appreciated

karen

9. Re: Duty free allowances or price of tobacco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about St Helier
Recent Conversations