We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guernsey or Jersey

manchester
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
Guernsey or Jersey

Hi,

Can you give some valuable advice? Cannot decide whether to go to Guernsey or Jersey. We would prefer not to drive - If we choose Jersey can you recommend where to stay i.e. hotel B & B we would want to be in the centre of things would that be St Helier ? Also is it duty free or tax free shopping - we love retail therapy and where would be the best place to shop.

Hope you can help !

Thanks

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
27 reviews
36 helpful votes
1. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

This is a bit of a difficult question to answer without being biased so I will try and answer as truthfully as possible:

Jersey is larger and therefore has a larger variety of shops

If you have children - Jersey is definately the better bet - aMaizin! Adventure Park, Durrell etc. can't be beaten

If you are older you may enjoy the quiet of Guernsey

Both have nice beaches

If I were coming to Jersey as a tourist I would stay in St Aubin - good bus network, great restaurants at all ends of the price scales, and lovely scenery.

Hope this helps!

Jersey, United...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St. Helier
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
1,149 reviews
1,037 helpful votes
2. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

I can't be as balanced as Jerseybaby and I say go for Jersey. Guernsey is nice, particularly St Peter Port but Jersey has more to offer. It has more of a holiday atmosphere, the shopping is better and bigger and the scenery more stunning as it is not as built up.

St. Aubin is great but you would have a greater choice of hotels and other accommodation in St. Helier and more choice of restaurants etc in the evening. St. Helier is certainly in the centre of things, maybe too much so for some. You can always catch the bus to St. Aubin or walk along the sea front (a good walk taking about an hour).

I would strongly recommend hiring a car for at least one day and you can do this easily at several car hire places in St. Helier, eg Liberation Square. Car hire is relatively cheas out of season and try to get zero excess and take your car full of petrol and return it full as you won't use a full tank in a day.Without a car you won't be able to get to all the far flung beaches and coves which is a must. You can plan the day to start early and finish within the times of your car hire and then use public transport for the rest of your stay. It all goes from Liberation Station Bus terminal.

Have a look at hotels on Tripadvisor to find your price bracket, there is lots of choice and you may even be ale to get some good deals including flghts if you use the internet. There are some good deals on hotels around at the moment.

They say that shopping is VAT free but there is now GST at 3% and it is very difficult to say it is cheaper any more. Food is 3% more than the UK, petrol is cheaper, wine is usually slightly cheaper, cigarettes if you buy 400 on the Flybe flight are considerably cheaper. Overall, as a visitor I would say you would find Jersey slightly more expensive that the UK, as a resident, considerably more expensive! Hope this helps. Get back with any other questions and we will all try to help as much as possible,

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
636 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

Here's another 'Big Up' for Jersey - well you are on the Jersey Forum :)

St Helier is great for some retail therapy. Be careful though as some of the well known high street names charge the same prices as the mainland, eg M&S and Next .

De Guchy and Voisins are two well established Jersey Department stores and tend to sell clothes and shoes at the upper end of the market - and that's where you'll probably get some of the best bargains. The designer label kind of stuff is definately cheaper than what you'd pay for them here so if you're looking for something special its a good place to shop . Great shoes ... !!

Make-up is cheaper too and there are often some good offers to be had in the summer.

St Helier is the 'City Centre' so to speak but Jersey is only small so you are never far away from anything really.If you're looking for Clubs and Bars then St Helier might be best but otherwise I too would have to recommend St Aubin.

Whatever you decide don't just go to Jersey to visit St Helier you would be missing out on sooo much. And do think about hiring a car - at least for a couple of days.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
636 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

Sorry - it should read De Gruchy !!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
636 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
5. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

Hi again !

Have just read you message on the Guernsey Forum so things are more clear now .

Under the circumstances I would say that St Helier is probably your best choice !

The Pomme D'or Hotel is centrally located, within walking distance of the shops and very near to the Bus Station if you were looking to visit some more of the island . Check out the reviews on here they are all very posotive .

Blue coach Tantivy also do trips and visit attractions on the island if you didn't want to be bothered with buses.

Jersey is very flat so good for walking and getting about . St Helier especially, is flat and well pedestrianised -I've heard that Guernsey is quite hilly .

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
45 reviews
48 helpful votes
6. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

Hmmm, you don't have to be old to enjoy Guernsey....

One of the more obvious advantages of Guernsey is the availability of 2 lovely little islands: Sark and Herm. Easy to go to by ferry for a lovely daytrip.

I guess on the whole, Jersey is more mondain than Guernsey, and Guernsey has slightly more rural charm, I think. It has a great coastal path (on the south side ^^) and probably more low profile, but definitely interesting places to visit (Victor Hugo House; Sculpture Trail at Sausmarez Manor to name but 2).

I would absolutely vote for Guernsey, but in the end, it's you that have to make the choice.

manchester
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

Sorry for the delay in replying - the information from you guys was great and we have now booked for Jersey the end of May. We think we will try Guernsey maybe in September. Looking now at the hotels in St Helier or St Aubin. Really looking forward to going now - will be in touch soon.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
27 reviews
36 helpful votes
8. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

Sark and Herm are easily reached from Jersey also on a day trip. Sark is particularly popular for its pecularities... such as the "no Car" rule.

No offence to anyone in Guernsey but I was basing my comment on "older people" on conversations with people who live and work in Jersey and often come to Jersey for the weekend.

One thing Guernsey can beat Jersey with, is there lovely harbour!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
27 reviews
36 helpful votes
9. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

I'm having a Devoncat moment!!

I meant to say that during conversations with those from Guernsey I have ascertained that Jersey is more suited to younger families and couples :-)

Jersey, British...
8 posts
10. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

Well, biased obviously but Jersey!

Even though St Peter Port is nicer than St Helier, Jersey definitely has the better beaches, restaurants and shopping.

Be careful what you buy in many cases its MORE expensive than the UK!!!!

Check out this local guide:

http://www.aboutjersey.net

Get answers to your questions about St. Helier
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.