We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So Little time - what do we see?

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
So Little time - what do we see?

Hi

My husband and I are visiting Jersey shortly in May but we only have very little time. We arrive on Friday lunchtime and leave again on Sunday morning so really we only have Friday afternoon and all day Saturday

We are staying in St Helier in order to be as central as possible. We love just exploring new places, are quite happy to walk places and if the weather is good, would rather explore outdoors.

I was thinking we should maybe explore St Helier with a possible walk to St Aubin's (is that too far, not realistic, realistic??), then have dinner somewhere in St Helier

What should we not miss on Saturday - there seems to be lots to do but what's not to be missed?

Thanks for your help

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So Little time - what do we see?

Hi, I would highly recommend Jersey Zoo, if you are into those kind of things, and when we were there it was one of the best resturants on the Island and this was a few years ago.

My other suggestion is the Jersey War tunnels, both accessible by bus from St Hellier, I don't think you need the special tourist buses, which I have a feeling have stopped anyway. Also, Jersey Gold may be good it all depends what you want to do.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So Little time - what do we see?

I'm a bit confused, you say you would highly recommend Jersey Zoo then later on you say it was on of the best restaurants on the island, is it the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust you are recommending or a restuarant?

I think we would do the Jersey War Tunnels if it was raining or not very nice weather, would rather be walking outdoors if it's good weather

Thanks for your speedy reply

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
603 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So Little time - what do we see?

Hi Twirl

You haven't said if you're hiring a car - definately recommended- or if you will be on public transport. The Bus Station is in St Helier so you'll have good access to the bus's and there is an Information Bureau next door.

The walk from St Helier to St Aubin is flat and easy . There are plenty of beach cafe's/ kiosk's along the way if you want some refreshment and a rest. St Aubin is a pretty harbour well worth a stroll around and lots of good places to eat if you fancy a spot of lunch. Its easy to get a bus back into town from there too.

Another lovely and easy walk is from St Aubin to Corbiere and The Lighthouse, along the disused railway track.

Not far from St Aubin is St Brelades Bay . Its one of the most popular beaches on Jersey and is certainly one of the prettiest .Overlooking the Bay is the lovely Church of St Brelades and Fishermans Chapel, definately a must see .

For best views and stunning scenery the North Coast is best for its cliff paths. There's a good bus route all the way along so you can get off, do a walk along the coast, and pick up a bus to take you back to St Helier. The coastal path from Gronez in St Ouen, with its ruined castle, along to Plemont Bay with its Beach Cafe, great views and lovely crab sandwhiches , is worth doing !

If you're wandering around St Helier then pop into the Central Market. Its a Victorian undercover market and apart from the vegetables, flowers and everything else that is for sale the architecture is worth a look too.

If you are looking for somewhere good for an evening meal in St Helier then do not miss The Seven Angels in Bath Street, its excellent , but you'll have to book, Check out the reviews on here.

As suggested already, there are always the War Tunnels and wonderful Durrells - which does have a good restaurant - if you were looking to eat while you were there. They would be good choice's on bad weather days. As you will only be on Jersey for such a short time , far better to get out and explore the island to see what it really has to offer. There is so much to see its hard to say what is the best but hopefully this will give you an idea. Here's hoping for good weather!!!

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So Little time - what do we see?

Brilliant Devoncats, just what I was needing and you are thinking along the same lines as me. We don't intend hiring a car, was thinking of using buses. Let's hope the weather is good and we will go with your suggestions

Thanks

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So Little time - what do we see?

Hi, my apologies it's a zoo with a resturant on site, it's the Gerald Dahl zoo which featured in some documentaries 80s or 90s

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So Little time - what do we see?

Thanks for the info jdtaylor

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
603 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So Little time - what do we see?

Its Gerald Durrell jd.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So Little time - what do we see?

Interesting thoughts on the restaurant at Durrell!

I've always thought that 'Dodo's' was very average - but last year they opened 'Firefly' which is excellent and good value for lunch, and I see that Dodo's seem to have upped their game in response! Now 2 lovely places to choose from :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,246 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So Little time - what do we see?

One of my firends just ate at Seven Angels and liked it- I haven't tried it yet but will. I ate at Ad Lib on Friday and liked it as well.

But walking, or taking the bus to St Aubin for dinner is a great idea as well- or even lunch. If you don't rent a car, you could always take a bus out to St Brelade's bay perhaps for lunch, and try one of the beachfront eateries as well. I have recently eaten at both the Oyster box and the Crab shack there and both were good.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 12:53
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So Little time - what do we see?

Some great suggestions on this thread, thinking of revisiting next year and this has certainly given me some good ideas

Get answers to your questions about St Helier
Recent Conversations