We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Taxi Company

A Sunny Island
Level Contributor
111 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended Taxi Company

Hi, I am visiting the island in mid October, flying. Can anyone recommend a good taxi company to pick up from the airport and to take us to the hotel & can anyone living on the island who perhaps uses taxi's give an estimate of price. Staying at Le Havelet hotel. i did email some taxi companies including Delta who can't be bothered to reply (maybe they don't need the business). I have been to the island once but only as a day trip from Jersey and when tried to get a taxi at the port whichever company it was were very unhelpful and wouldn't take us. My mother has mobility problems (not in a wheelchair) but limited with the amt of walking she can do.

Second question getting around the island - do buses stop outside Le Havelet hotel (we won't be hiring a car). Is there a weekly ticket you can buy for the local buses, ie hop on hop off and are all atractions accessible by bus.

Thirdly anyone know of any companies that do day trips to the other items, also is it possible to go to France for the day. Likewise I did email some companies that advertise via the tourist office, but not much rsponse (only one co came back sayng they do island tours of Guernsey).

thanks

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Taxi Company

Definitely recommend that you prebook a taxi from the airport; sometimes there are queues of them waiting, and other times you can wait up to 30-40 minutes, particularly at weekends.

I tend to use Island Taxis (had problems with Delta).

Tel: 01481 700500

Cost to the hotel should be around £10-£12 depending on the arrival time of your flight.

Buses don't stop outside the hotel de Havelet. It's located on a hillside (very steep road leading from seafront) on the southern outskirts of St Peter Port. Family friends have stayed there for many years and like its "olde-worlde" charm.

The main bus terminus is located a few minutes walk along the seafront, but with your mother's mobility problems, it might be a bit far to walk??

Here's a link to Guernsey Bus which details times and routes:

http://www.buses.gg/routes.asp

Travelling by bus is very cheap: 60p per journey. You can purchase various passes:

10 journeys for £5.50; 30 journeys for £11.50.

You don't need to purchase a pass for each person; just swipe it twice (or thrice if there are three of you) when you enter the bus.

I don't think it's possible to do a day-trip to France any more. Previously you could fly to Dinard, but flight times have been altered, so you'd only get half a day. Not worth it, really. Would you consider a night in St Malo, maybe? It's a gorgeous walled city on the coast. Not great for walking, though. Aurigny offer breaks to France (St Malo, Dinard and Dinan), plus Jersey and Alderney (flight and accommodation, plus car rental if required):

http://www.aurigny.com/HTML/Breaks.asp

http://www.saint-malo-tourisme.com/?id_site=3

Otherwise, a visit to Sark might be possible if you hired a horse-and-carriage once on the Island:

http://www.sark.info/

Just be aware that depending on the tides, there are steps at Guernsey and Sark harbour. The hill from Sark Harbour to the little village is very steep, but there is a tractor-pulled carriage that will take you to the top (for a fee):

www.sark.info/index.cfm…

Oh! And finally, do check your travel insurance. The reciprocal health agreement between Guernsey and the UK has come to an end, so if you were to require medical assistance you will be required to pay for all surgery and hospital bills. (Don't want to put a dampner on things, but this is relatively new and few people are aware of it!)

:-)

A Sunny Island
Level Contributor
111 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Taxi Company

Hello

Thank you for all your helpful information. We chose that hotel as it was recommended by friends (who said it was a great place to stay, excellent food and good leisure facs). You say a bus doesn't stop outside the hotel, but is there a bus stop near (within 5 minutes walk). My mother has limited mobility problems, she can walk a bit then needs to sit, etc, she is not in a wheelchair but has to use a stick. Unfortunately I have recently been diagnoised with ME/CFS, which because of the fatigue you get with the condition sometimes concentration isn't at its best, so car hire def out. We can both use buses (do the buses lower (for example where I live all the buses can lower for easier access). Many thanks about the tip for the bus journies. We are both very much looking forward to our trip. We arrive 11th October at lunch time.

Again a big thank you for all the helpful information (I had read somewhere that Guernsey and the UK doesn't have a health repocial agreement now) and yes we have medical./travel insurance.

One last question do you know is there anywhere on the island I can get free wi-fi. I do also have a vodaphone stick, but don't know if it covers outside of England, I will check with voda.

Thanks again

Sarah

3. Re: Recommended Taxi Company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about St Peter Port