We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day in St. Peter Port

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day in St. Peter Port

Hi!

We are arriving in St. Peter Port at 11:00 am and our cruise leaves at 7:00 pm

Having never been there before, what do you recommend?

I was looking at going to Castle Cornet. Is that hard to get to on our own?

Really I have no idea about the Channel Islands, except we are looking forward to seeing something new.

We like history and site seeing. Walking is no problem.

I will be grateful for any suggestions you can give.

Thanks!

Elmer

Mentioned in this post
St Peter Port
St Peter Port
Guernsey, UK
Castle Cornet
Castle Cornet
1,206 Reviews
Guernsey, UK
Channel Islands
Channel Islands
United Kingdom
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,283 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day in St. Peter Port

Personally I thought the castle was a bit boring,,,, ;(

I'd recommend the Victor Hugo house and or a bus to the cliff coast.

Acttually, I'll make this easy for myself:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186229-i1088-k3…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186229-i1088-k3…

Hope you'll have great weather when you're there...

(oh, and a day on Herm would be worth it, too, I think....)

Edited: 16 August 2010, 22:37
Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day in St. Peter Port

Thanks Meyem

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day in St. Peter Port

Hi there Elmer

Do hope you have a vey enjoyable few hours on our Island.

Am inclined to agree with Mayem's opinion re Castle Cornet - not quite sure why it is called a castle, since it started life as a fortified garrison and, certainly doesn't resemble one. However if this is for you, you will be able to see it from your liner, it is set out at sea and reached via a causeway, on a farther pier along the harbour.

I consider our cliff walks are second to none - but then I would, wouldn't I? As Mayehm says, a bus ride of about 20 minutes would take you to Jerbourg Point - there is a bus station and info kiosk along the water front.

Victor Hugo's house is fascinating and borders on the bizarre - V H was exciled on Guernsey for 15 years and wrote his famous classic, Les Miserables whilst here. Do check out the entry times though, since they do run at specific times - and as such, is not an open house venue.

I would like to suggest that you look at MaxiLees post, and various posts made by Mayhem and me, these will give you a little picture of Island history.

A word of caution Elmer - we have recently seen very bad press from cruising visitors and the extortianate charges they are asked to pay, by the cruise ships for trips available which can be booked on the boats. We are a very concentrated Island and as such, everything is very easy to find out about and, to reach on an independant basis within a limited time frame. Opposite the pier your tenders will come into there is a Tourist information centre and they will be happy to advise you.

Which boat are you on and, when do you dock here, will watch out for you!

Best wishes, any further questions, please ask away.

Mentioned in this post
Castle Cornet
Castle Cornet
1,206 Reviews
Guernsey, UK
Guernsey
Guernsey
Channel Islands, UK
Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day in St. Peter Port

Thank you Stileto!

I really appreciate your and Mayem's insights.

We arrive Sept 8, on the Westerdam.

How far away is Victor Hugos house from the dock, if you know? Is it walkable?

My wife loves Les Miserables.

We usually prefer to do it on our own rather than the ships excursion.

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Day in St. Peter Port

Hallo Elmer

You are most welcome.

Westerdam drops anchor between our Channel Islands, in a stretch of water called the Little Russell, so that will be my view from my office, most all of the day.

The number you need to call to arrange a viewing at Victor Hugo's house is 01481 721911. Once you get off the tender, walk along to the Town Church, then cross the road which will take you up Cornet Street, which, leads on to Hautville - V H's house is about 500 yards on the left hand side.

I love Les Miserables too.

Best wishes

Edited: 17 August 2010, 22:54
Mentioned in this post
Channel Islands
Channel Islands
United Kingdom
Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Day in St. Peter Port

Hi Stileto,

Thank you for your help! It is really appreciated.

So it looks like we will be able to easily walk to VH's house. That's great. My wife will be thrilled.

Do you know, is there a cover charge?

If so will they take USD?

I want you to know, I envy you having a view of the harbor from your office.

It must be really peaceful, and seeing all the ships come in must be exciting too.

Can we walk to the cliffs from the VH house, or do we need to take a taxi or bus?

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Day in St. Peter Port

Hi Elmer

Have made the call for you today, for info on Hauteville House (V H residence).

As I suspected, you would have to join a group in order to have a look around, this will not present you with a problem since the tours run every 15 minutes, if they are unable to accommodate you both on a tour as soon as you arrive, they will join you both up to the next one, in the interim you will be invited to sit in V H's garden and, will enjoy astounding views across the harbours and waterfront.

The house is open from 10 to 4 and so I would suggest that you make this your first port of call. The entrance fee is £5 per person, they do not take: USD, travellers' cheques, or Euro (we are not part of the EU community), and will accept GBP or Guernsey notes only, so suggest that you arm yourselves with some Brit money prior to travelling. May I ask if you are one of our older generation of cruise travellers? If so, and are 65 years and older, you will get in for free - just take along your passports.

Unfortunately Elmer, walking from V H's to the cliffs is not doable within your timeframe - that is, unless you are planning to overtake Ushane Bolt when he races next!

Another idea is that you take a bus to the West coast and enjoy a wonderful walk along the beaches, they are so pretty and, there are lots of places along the coast to sit and enjoy a spot of lunch, etc.

Yes, I do have rather a priviledged view from my office, however, as you will see, there are a lot of smart waterfront banks, lawyers' offices and so forth, so am one of many. Had to laugh at your idea of this being peaceful, quite often during fine weather there are loads of private power craft going Island hopping and the sea side can by busier than the coast road.

Best wishes.

Mentioned in this post
Hauteville House
Hauteville House
576 Reviews
Guernsey, UK
Guernsey
Guernsey
Channel Islands, UK
Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Day in St. Peter Port

Hi Stileto,

Wow! You are amazing!

Thank you so much for your insight and help.

It's always good to be near water... even when it gets busy.

We are not yet 65... and my wife says I'm 3 years old :)

Maybe take the bus to the west coast after VH house.

I would like to see the cliff's though if I can. I saw the ones in Dover, and in the USA, going north from San Francisco all the way up to Seattle taking the PCS (Pacific Coast Highway) you get dramatically stunning views.

Live in Florida now.

Mentioned in this post
Dover
Dover
Kent, UK
Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Day in St. Peter Port

Hi Elmer, you are very kind and, thank you.

When armed with the right knowledge, it is a total pleasure to pass same on and I am very pleased to think that I can hopefully enhance your day by doing so.

Florida? Sounds good, we have a number of high, networth clients who have second homes there, but I have yet to visit America. Now, if you are considering Egypt, and especially Luxor, then do let me know, am not bad at that, either.

Do please send me a post when you return, it is always good to hear experiences, good, or bad.

Please tell Mrs Elmer that I am in total agreement with her biological opinion of the age of the male of our species, mine is is no where near his particular dotage zone either, but remains and continues to be a daily challenge.

As we speak I am watching Sky news weather forcastes, and September for the Channel Islands is looking good.

Best wishes.

Mentioned in this post
Channel Islands
Channel Islands
United Kingdom
Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Day in St. Peter Port

Hi Elmer

How could I forget Italy and Sicilly, for ideas if you plan to make trips there.

High time I put my laptop to bed.

Best wishes.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Get answers to your questions about St Peter Port