We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Burgh Island - questions?

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Burgh Island - questions?

My friend and I would love to visit the Island, see the Art Deco Hotel, have a meal in the little pub, all within a day. Is it possible to do this without actually staying overnight, please?

Also is it permitted to bring a dog onto the Island (and on the Sea Tractor)?

Finally, it would be very helpful if we could know prices - for access to the Island and fares on the Sea Tractor.

Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Burgh Island - questions?

The Pilchard is the easiest thing - although you'll probably be confined to one bar and it can be very busy. Definitely one to visit on a weekday outside school hols if you can.

I think non-residents can have cream tea in the hotel - but dress smartly - but much easier to have a meal in the restaurant. I did this for my 40th a few years ago and it was great.

The tractor is a nominal cost so don't be worried about that -and I'm sure you can take your dog. They're welcome in the pub if well-behaved.

I've been there many times but have never used the tractor - to me the walk is the best thing of all, especially under the stars. Make sure you get the tide times though.

Mike

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Burgh Island - questions?

Thank you Mike. :)

My friend is a bit unsteady on her pins now, hence our use of the Sea Tractor (and it is part of her wish to visit the Island.)

We would certainly hope to visit quite soon, before the school holidays start; if not, then in September when they finish!

Thank you for the information - and the speedy reply. ;)

Rosie

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Burgh Island - questions?

Fair enough - obviously (!) the tractor only runs at high tide, so you'll need to arrive and depart then. Another reason to check out those tide times !

Mike

Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
140 posts
1,296 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Burgh Island - questions?

To confirm you will be able to take a dog on the sea tractor. It is £2 or something like that for the ride, but as stated above this only runs when it's high tide and the island is cut off from the mainland. Food is available at the Pilchard at lunchtimes and Friday evening to anyone, but only to hotel guests in the other evenings.

See http://www.burghisland.com for more info

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Burgh Island - questions?

If you time the tide right you can walk across to the island. Dogs are not allowed on the beach from the 1st May - 30th Sept so you may want to keep that in mind and visit after the end of Sept. I think that the tractor only runs when the tide is in. The rest of the time you walk across. The sand is flat and hard in the center but there is a steep set of stairs down from the car park.

Dogs are allowed inside the Pilchard and if the weather is mild there are some nice seating areas outside.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Burgh Island - questions?

Don't bothergoing unless your staying at the hotel!!! You cannot get into see it unless your a resident!!! Your only allowed into one small bar of the pub!!!

And as it was july,it was rammed!!! so didn't bother to wait.

Very dissapointed as it is quite a challenge getting up and down the narrow roads.

So unless you want a few hours on the beach,tide permitting,don't bother.Go to dartmouth on the car ferry!!! At least they allow you in the pubs!!!!

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Burgh Island - questions?

Do bother - just don't expect the island to be tourist free on a warm Sunday in July !

"The Pilchard is the easiest thing - although you'll probably be confined to one bar and it can be very busy. Definitely one to visit on a weekday outside school hols if you can. "

Mike

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Burgh Island - questions?

As others have said you cannot go into the hotel unless you are a resident, these days. You used to be able to have afternoon tea and cocktails in the bar, but alas no more, more the pity, it was quite an experience.

If your friend is a little 'bad on her pins' as you say, I think she would be better just viewing the island from Bigbury, it's very steep climbing up to the hotel. The Pilchard Inn gets very busy and personally I think it's overrated, crab sandwiches are about £7 -8 ! On a lovely sunny day the island/hotel does look spectacular, but maybe not the best place for your friend, try Dartmouth, just as nice and flatter!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Burgh Island - questions?

You can book am evening meal in the restaurant.

The journey on a busy day is via country lanes full of people who want to have a day on the glorious beach....

so as previously stated go out of busy times or expect to see other people who are trying to share a piece of brilliant British countryside

If you call the hotel they will advise you re availability of food.

There is a great cafe at the car park in Bigbury on sea, I think it's run by the brother of Dawn French. The hotel restricts access to the public & charges their guests a premium for exclusivity.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Burgh Island - questions?

The cafe in the car park is part of the Venus Cafe chain, Dawn French's brother's cafe is just up the way.

Reply to: Visiting Burgh Island - questions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Burgh Island
Recent Conversations
More Burgh Island Topics