We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on a couple of days stay in Bovey Tracey

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on a couple of days stay in Bovey Tracey

HI, I'm visiting lBovey Tracey ater this year with my family - inc. kids of 14 and 12., as part of a tour of Devon/Cornwall. I'm looking for tips on recommended restaurants/places to eat of an evening (happy to consider any in Teignmouth, Dawlish, etc if it's worth the car journey); decent pubs that wouldn't mind the (well-behaved) kids; and anything worth sight-seeing doing during the days. All help gratefully received! John L

9 replies to this topic
Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on a couple of days stay in Bovey Tracey

Can recommend The Marble Factory in Bovey, both for something for the kids to see, i.e. glass blowing and a small glass museum and not least the cafe which serves really good food. For an evening meal try The Cleave in nearby Lustleigh ( need to check if kids allowed in evenings though). Bovey is a good spot for getting onto Dartmoor, or getting toTorquay,Paignton,Brixham,Dawlish etc. not forgetting Dartmouth. Another nice pub is the Abbey at Buckfast www.theabbeyinn-buckfast.co.uk super Sunday carvery. Family friendly Dartbridge Inn at Buckfast too.

Try this one www.visitsouthdevon.co.uk/food-and-drink eat and enjoy!

Edited: 29 February 2012, 23:35
Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on a couple of days stay in Bovey Tracey

Hi, the Trade winds restaurant in teignmouth is very family friendly....

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g635906-…

ATB,J.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on a couple of days stay in Bovey Tracey

Thanks for the suggestions both - really helpful! Does anyone know anything of "Ode" in Shaldon? John L

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on a couple of days stay in Bovey Tracey

The only place I've eaten in Shaldon (last summer) is The Ness. Lovely location. http://theness.co.uk/

Just up the river, right on it, is Coombe Cellars. Especially nice at high tide as the water laps the edge of the building. http://www.thecoombecellars.co.uk/

A trip up to Dartmoor would be good also. Widecombe in the Moor is quite popular with tourists and you would be forgiven for thinking any eating places here are tourist traps but The Old Inn has loads of character if you get the old stone part. Avoid paying to park in the village car parks and use the free one behind the Inn. Most people don't know about it. http://oldinnwidecombeinthemoor.co.uk/

These 3 places are all non pretentious but a step up from yokel dives where everyone stares at you when you walk in.

One last thing. When you pull off for Bovey you'll see lots of signs for what looks like a major attraction - Trago Mills. It's not very nice at all. Your teenage kids may enjoy the go kart track but other than that it's an oddball of a place with low key rides for young children tagged onto a vast and sprawling store cladded like a castle handling liquidated crap or stuff they bought 25 years ago and never sold. The rules and regulations throughout the store make it entertaining but it's ultimately just a glorified Poundstretcher with fingers in every area of retail you can imagine.

Okehampton, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on a couple of days stay in Bovey Tracey

Totally agree about House of Marbles (The Marble Factory) in Bovey, both for something for the kids to see, i.e. glass blowing and a small glass museum and the cafe serves good food and also afternoon teas, with great cakes. Entrance is free.

Becky Falls, just north of Bovey Tracey has various things for entertaining children, but there are entrance fees.

We use Trago Mills a lot, and it does now have good stuff in the shops as well as the Poundstretcher type stuff.

Go Ape at Haldon Forest isn't too far away.

Get out walking on the Moors, go to Hay Tor, which is a nice drive onto the moors. There are some good walks around there and there's usually an ice-cream van parked up in the car park at the bottom. bbc.co.uk/devon/outdoors/walks/haytor.shtml

Bovey Tracey...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on a couple of days stay in Bovey Tracey

I would recomend the Dolphin Hotel in Bovey for excellent food and a lovely atmosphere, the food is good and very reasonable. The minature pony centre in Moretonhampstead is a worth while visit as is the House of Marbles in Bovey tracey.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on a couple of days stay in Bovey Tracey

All - many thanks for the advice. Looking forward to trying some of your recommendations later in the year! John L

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on a couple of days stay in Bovey Tracey

Brookside tea rooms in Bovey is well worth a visit. It's listed on TA.

On my list for this year is a ride on the South Devon railway between Buckfastleigh and Totnes, and a look in at the Valiant Soldier in Buckfast.

http://www.southdevonrailway.co.uk/

http://www.valiantsoldier.org.uk/

I've not visited but the Elizabethan House Museum in Totnes has a room devoted to Charles Babbage - the guy who invented the first (mechanical) computer - the 'difference engine'.

Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on a couple of days stay in Bovey Tracey

Another good place to visit is Princetown on Dartmoor, they have a small but perfectly formed Dartmoor prison museum. A great insight in to the history of the prison. The abbey at Buckfastleigh is also lovely and a short drive from Bovey. For food I would recommend The Cridford Inn which is in Trusham in the Teign Valley (10-15 minutes from Bovey) for lunch or evening meal. My favourite place for a cream tea is Cafe Greenginger in Ashburton.

Reply to: Advice on a couple of days stay in Bovey Tracey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bovey Tracey