We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

extortionate parking charges!

Which Woolacombe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
extortionate parking charges!

Just returned from a lovely weekend away in north Devon. We stayed on a campsite at Mortehoe (Damage Barton farm) very nice.

Cannot believe in March, which I call low season they were charging £3.50 to park at woolacome beach !! :-((

We refused to pay it and drove on down to Saunton and went on that beach.

I have lived in Devon all my life, this part of the country is such a rip off, we go to scotland every year for our main holiday and we never have to pay to park!! There arent that many tourists about at the moment but they continue to rip off the locals.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: extortionate parking charges!

£3.50!!! ....<fx Yorkshire accent > "You were lucky"

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: extortionate parking charges!

<<< £3.50!!! ....<fx Yorkshire accent > "You were lucky" >>>

£1.20 for up to 2 hours at South Shields today

London
Level Contributor
513 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: extortionate parking charges!

Just to make you feel a bit better.............on the meter/pay and display in the West End (Camden Council) it's £5 an hour

And then sometimes, the parking wardens have the nerve to give you a ticket, even though you have your ticket displayed in the windscreen.

Then you have to go throuh all the hassle of an appeal, even though you've paid your £5 an hour

UK
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: extortionate parking charges!

This is for the WHOLE day though and not per hour !

Excellent value I think.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: extortionate parking charges!

That's OK if you are going to spend the whole day at the beach which you are unlikely to do in March. Maybe it should be cheaper at different times of the year in a place like that.

In central Edinburgh it is £3:20 for 2 hours but that is not really comparing like for like as people are going to come and park in town whatever time of year it is!

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: extortionate parking charges!

yes good value if you are staying all day and surfing etc but we were only walking the dog, so only wanted maximum 2 hours.

£3.50 in march IS a rip off. But thats Devon for you !!

But I sympathise with all you Londoner's too ;-)

Devonport, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: extortionate parking charges!

Yep I've just returned from a couple of days away in South Hams. Went down to Hope Cove and they wanted £3 for all day parking - which is reasonable in summer if on the beach all day, but not out of season unless you plan to walk the coastal path. Nothing was open (apart from the pub) and we left after half an hour. Also visited Salcombe and some shops only open 10 to 2 or not at all. Real shame as this is the best time of the year to avoid the crowds. Also paid £50 per person per night for farm B & B in Galmpton (absolute rip off), we rarely pay more than £30 p.p.p.n. down here. If it wasn't for 2 for 1 vouchers in a West Country paper we wouldn't have stayed there. Think I might mention this in a separate post.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: extortionate parking charges!

The parking restrictions on the roads in Woolacombe run from 1st May to 30th September. Therefore in March you can park for nothing for as long as you want on the Esplanade, which runs alongside the car park and is probably less than half a minutes walk from where you parked your car.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: extortionate parking charges!

£3.50 is a fairly standard sort of charge for car parking at or near a beach.

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: extortionate parking charges!

it was for the car park overlooking the beach. there was a manned kiosk with sign displaying charge.

£3.50 is not acceptable in March if you just want to walk the dog on the beach for no more than 2 hours. Its ok for surfing ALL DAY.

Why dont the council install a machine like every other car park so we could pay according to how long we were staying.

If its £3.50 in march, god knows what its like in August summer holidays?!!

I refuse to pay, it costs me a fortune to live in this region in the 1st place.