We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Waterloo to Wareham by train

Stockton, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
London Waterloo to Wareham by train

I have just found a London Waterloo to Wareham fare on raileasy.co.uk that just seems too good to be true. £12. Did I read that correctly? Just before checking that tariff, I found the price of the Moreton-in-Marsh to London Paddington train to be £26.90. Are both prices correct? Also, am I correct that though National Expresscoaches give a discount to seniors in general, seniors can get discounts on rail only by buying the senior card?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Waterloo to Wareham by train

It doesn't seem improbable to me. You can get some incredibly cheap fares booking in advance. The other day I bought a ticket for travel from London to Leamington Spa for £3.30 and from Coventry back to London for £6.60 (using the senior railcard). Distances are about the same as to Wareham.

Yes, you need to buy the Railcard to get thesenior discount on the train. I have no idea about National Express's current rules for senior travel.

Stockton, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Waterloo to Wareham by train

I decided that the senior railcard would not be economical on this visit since I am taking the train so little, only twice in fact. I found that the National Express coach made more sense for my Heathrow-Cotswolds (Cirencester) trip and Wareham to Heathrow (Wareham to Poole by local bus). Otherwise we are taking local buses in the Cotswolds and Purbeck. This will be the first time of many visits to the U.K. that we are relying entirely on public transport. A little scary since we have always had a car in the past.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London Waterloo to Wareham by train

Yes that's right. Advance tickets are available to Wareham, but not to Moreton in Marsh.

Raileasy is not the place to buy it though - they charge a booking fee. You should be able to buy the ticket at the same price, no fee, from a rail company website.

That fare will go up if you don't buy it soon - don't delay once your plans are fixed.

4. Re: London Waterloo to Wareham by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Wareham
More Wareham Topics