We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry to arran

Which Brodick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
ferry to arran

Hi i am going to arranisland in july. We are 2 adults and a car. Do we need to book in advance? Prblem is we are driving from east midlands airport and can only hope to get on the last ferry. We arrive into east midlands at 0930. If we miss it does that means our pre book ticket is invalid? As it cost us 90 pounds for the crossing.

Pls help

Thanks

Ysh

20 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry to arran

Yes - booking essential, unless you are happy to wait for a space, which may not exist that day.

When is the last ferry?

Maybe it would be sensible to stay the night somewhere local to the ferry terminal and get a ferry in the morning. However, it should only take about 5 hours from Easy Midlands.... (check with a route planner site).

Talk to Calmac about what happens to booked tickets.

There is also another (non-bookable) ferry running from Kintyre to Lochranza. Having missed my 3pm ferry from Ardrossan, I have driven the 100 miles to it and got onto the island that night.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry to arran

I checked the timings using the AA's route planner:

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp#fromNode=18260046270812|East%20Midlands%20Airport%20%28Nottingham%29,%20Derby|STREET|445212|325530|toNode=18260005134974|Ardrossan,%20North%20Ayrshire|STREET|223157|642485

and it takes a little under 6 hours to drive, maybe 7 hours including rest breaks.

Let's guess you will be clear of the airport by something like 10:30 so that means arriving in Brodick at 17:30 for a last ferry that sails at 18:00, and obviously that's pretty tight.

Yes you need to book a place. These ferries get busy, especially at the weekend.

And it would be helpful to know which day of the week, because there's a later sailing on Fridays which would remove your time pressures.

My experience of Calmac is they do their best to be helpful, and if you miss a booking they would do their best to get you on the next sailing - which would be early the next morning.

Carry Calmac's phone number and contact them if you realise you might not make it in time. And have a few B&B phone number up your sleeve, as plan B.

-

Have you thought of not driving all that way? A train journey won't save time because East Midlands Airport is awkwardly placed for the route north. But there are a few flights to Glasgow Airport and if you got the 1150 you would be in Glasgow at 1300 and you could pick up your car there? Less than an hour from the ferry. It depends which day of the week, and you can find ongoing carriers and flight details on the EMA website

-

Too late or too costly to take a flight into Glasgow?

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry to arran

The last ferry is 1800 hrs . And it takes abt 7 hrs from east midlands to brodick. N i will just hope i will make it.

I will book the last ferry . I did chk the other ferry and the last ferry fom there is 1715 so it is even earlier.

Thanks will chk w calmac and ask them

Ysh

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry to arran

Hi,

Depending on what day you are travelling there are ferries up to at least 8pm leaving Ardrossan

.As peterscott says the journey time from East Midlands is about 5 hours. I would allow 7 hours to account for traffic problems on M6 and A74M.

So, Arrive East Midlands 0930. Get car sorted 10.30. 7 hours driving + 1 hour for breaks = 6.30pm at Ardrossan!

No problem on most days. Saturdays there is even one at 10pm!!

Bob

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry to arran

Thanks for all yr replies, u are right. I went and key in east midlands to brodrick hence got 7 hrs. My flight arrives 0930 so i think i will make it to the ferry terminal for the 6pm ferry.

Have book my flight so too late to change. Staying i. The shorehouse so ot far to travel once we got there. We are going 3july bk 6 july. It is a tuesday..

Thanks for the tips.

Will have calmac and the shorehouse phone no. With me n case i dont make it.

I hope i do. Wont be making alot of stops. And hope i get there by latest 1730.

Looking forward to it .

Thanks nd thanks again. Will email calmac now.

Best regds ysh

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry to arran

The journey will be faster if you can share driving, nmeaning you each get a little rest, and you can take shorter stops. You can add a second driver if hiring online, you can usually do it on the spot at the desk.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry to arran

On Tuesdays in the summer there is a ferry at 19,20

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ferry to arran

I don't know where the Shorehouse is, but, in any case, it is not necessarily a disaster if you miss your booked ferry.

This advice may be more pertinent for others, but you could always leave your car at Ardrossan (there is a large car park adjacent to the ferry terminal). Go across on a later ferry as foot passengers. And one of you return the next morning to bring the car over. (maybe not worth it for a short stay, but certainly for a week or longer.)

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ferry to arran

Thanks very much for yr replie Derek,.will do that. Its only its onLy 5days so not too exp. . Thanks travelbob 31 i did key in the travel dates bu did not see the 1920 from ardrossan, there Is one from brodick.

And peterscot. Thanks too will check and see if there is a lter ferry. If so and no space for car we will do that too.

Thanks for all yr help and advice i am really very grateful.

Regds

Ysh

Shiskine, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ferry to arran

Hi Folks

ShoreHouse is right on the front of Brodick, about 300m from the pier. Have a great trip!

Reply to: ferry to arran
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brodick