We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit in January 2014

Paris
4 posts
Save Topic
Visit in January 2014

I'm considering a trip in January to Stromness, Orkney. My main concern is, will I have trouble getting there from Edinburgh and back, that time of year? Are the ferries reliable? Planes? Thanks for any suggestions.

Skara Brae
Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites
Ring of Brodgar
Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites, Mysterious Sites
Ness of Brodgar
Points of Interest & Landmarks
8 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit in January 2014

Well, it all depends on the weather, and no-one can predict it more than a few days in advance.

I would actually be more worried about the amount of daylight. Most of Orkney's wonderful attractions are outdoors and there will not be much daylight at that time of year.

See www.dateandtime.com or similar.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit in January 2014

The bigger the ferry, the more likely to cope with rough seas. For that reason you might look at the Aberdeen route.

I'd also check whether venues are open throughout winter. Smaller or privately owned ones may close.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,668 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit in January 2014

I personally would never consider the Aberdeen route if going by ferry. I would go for either Scrabster or Gills Bay and I have visited Orkney regularly in the winter and have never had a ferry cancelled on me (although I know it can happen).

Funnily enough I am heading to Orkney tomorrow for a few days :-)

p.s. If you hit it lucky with the weather the winter can be fabulous in Orkney when you can the outdoor sites and there are almost no visitors at all and although the likes of the Broch Of Gurness and Brough of Birsay are officially closed it really just means they are unmanned.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,668 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit in January 2014

p.s I like the Gills Bay ferry (Pentland Ferries) as the crossing is quicker and there is also a lot less time spent out in the open sea

p.p.s. having said that, the only ferry that goes directly to Stromness is the Scrabster ferry.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 20:26
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,668 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit in January 2014

p.p.p.s :-) The first section of this photo album was taken in a January flickr.com/photos/…

Paris
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit in January 2014

Actually, I've been several times to Orkney in summer and am curious about what it's like in winter, with only a few hours of sun (at best). Thanks for your concern, though.

Kirkwall, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit in January 2014

Hi,

I live in Orkney and contrary to what most people think its not horrendous weather here in January. Yes it can be wild at times but our climate is mild all year round.

I always fly from Orkney to Edinburgh with Flybe. The planes are more likely to go in bad weather compared to the boats.

If you book in advance with Flybe you get the best rates.

Regards,

Kinlay

london
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit in January 2014

goanjock, those photos are impressive ... did you have that sort of weather all the time you were there

Reply to: Visit in January 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stromness
Recent Conversations
More Stromness Topics