We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torr Cottage, Urlar Estates, Aberfeldy

Which Aberfeldy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Co Down, N Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Torr Cottage, Urlar Estates, Aberfeldy

I can't post an actual review because Tripadvisor doesn't recognize the address or website, so here goes.

This place wasn't as advertised on the Unique Cottages website - first line of description says it's of a very high standard, which it isn't, and the second, in a very high location, which it is.

The location is good for walking in to Aberfeldy or just for walks but our first reaction on walking into the house was that it has seen better days. Everything slightly tatty and no maintenance done - lots of things that could be fixed with a screwdriver and a needle and thread. It really just felt as though no-one could be bothered - bedclothes were clean but not ironed, brown grout in the bathroom, patio door did not lock and judging from the visitors' book hadn't locked for some time. And that's only three of a long list of small broken things. However the deciding factor was the mice, which wreck around all night behind a stud wall about three feet from your head. They had nibbled a dvd in the bookcase and the fabric front of the hifi speakers.

This was our holiday - we could have put up with it and stuck it out - but we packed up early and went home. There was no pleasure in being in the house.

Responses and complaints handling aren't the best either - my first email wasn't received apparently, and my question about who 'carefully selects' the properties for the agency, and how, was asked and ignored twice. When we left a phone message and texted the caretaker to let her know we were leaving early, she responded 'ok'. Not good.

I love Scotland and we normally go at least once a year - experiences such as this are not good for Scottish tourism.

6 replies to this topic
Maryland
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torr Cottage, Urlar Estates, Aberfeldy

I remember looking at that cottage on the Unique Cottages website a few years ago but made a different selection. I think Unique Cottages does need to require updated photographs every 2-3 years and have some sort of periodic inspection as well especially to follow-up with complaints. In my opinion some owners can become complacent and will ignore simple maintenance if there is no negative reviews ever printed on the website forcing owners to make an effort. I hope Unique Cottages and Urlar Estates understands their reputation is on the line and may be at risk. It would be quite easy to think this lax standard is rife with all their listings under the circumstances. Very disturbing. I have rented with them for many years and I do hope the management reviews their standards in order to maintain and protect their business reputation. A few bad apples...as the saying goes. I hope they get the message here and respond accordingly to reassure the clientele that supports them.

Sunny

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torr Cottage, Urlar Estates, Aberfeldy

we stayed at the beginning of october the place was thick of dust and only 2 of the 4 spot lights over the kitchen area worked the living area bulb went as soon as we turned it on. Texted the caretaker requesting replacements asap but she didn't reply or respond to request,we resorted to moving a lamp from the bedroom so we could see to eat at the table.Very poorly equipped kitchen no baking tray or even a measuring jug.the utensils and some pans were dirty and greasy.Paid extra for the dog but we left it cleaner than we found it.Very dissappointed we have stayed in much better properties for far less rent.

3. Re: Torr Cottage, Urlar Estates, Aberfeldy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 December 2013, 12:05

Co Down, N Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torr Cottage, Urlar Estates, Aberfeldy

David, can you please post a link to your own cottage for rent? We're always looking for good places.

Many thanks, C

Perth and Kinross...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Torr Cottage, Urlar Estates, Aberfeldy

Torr Cottage is under new management. The cottage has been updated to provide a warm and peaceful cottage. We hope that previous issues have been resolved and that we offer a welcoming cottage in a beautiful part of Scotland.

Hexham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Torr Cottage, Urlar Estates, Aberfeldy

My husband and I stayed in Torr cottage for a week. We had a lovely week, the cottage itself was very clean and well presented. Torr is very a welcoming cottage and we thoroughly enjoyed our week. The area is beautiful, with lovely walks and scenery. Aberfeldy offered everything we could need and there is lots to see and visit in surrounding areas.

Reply to: Torr Cottage, Urlar Estates, Aberfeldy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aberfeldy
Recent Conversations