We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit North West Geopark from Achiltibuie

Which Achiltibuie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Samara, Russia
Level Contributor
13 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Visit North West Geopark from Achiltibuie

Hi,

I will stay in Achiltibuie from 4 to 6 May and would like to walk or cycle in North West Geopark.

I saw the web site of the Geopark, but I can't to choose the place :)

Give me please some advise where I can go?

2 replies to this topic
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit North West Geopark from Achiltibuie

The geopark is more a loose collection of places that straddle the geology of the Moine Thrust and the areas west of it, than it is a 'park'. You won't find park notices and particular points of entry. And it covers a lot of ground. If you're based at Achiltibuie then it makes sense to suggest walks in that area ...

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/assynt.shtml lists lots of walks ranging from short strolls to fairly major mountain trips. The problem being I don't know how hill-fit or experienced you are or whether you're looking for relaxed walks or something challenging. Why not have a look at the website? Or you could just chill on the beach out at Achnahard? Or a boat trip to the Summer Isles?

Cycling: I'm not aware of off-road trails in the area but there's a narow coast road runs from roughly Anchnahard to Lochinver.

If you're into geology: http://www.knockan-crag.co.uk/visit.asp

Samara, Russia
Level Contributor
13 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit North West Geopark from Achiltibuie

Thank you for your answer. But I read about geopark and I didn't knew what it was :) But now I know :D

I staid in Achiltibuie for 2 nights and when I wanted to go to mountain I saw that I didn't know where to go :)

Unfortunately it was no Internet in my hostel. I went by car along the coast and at least I decided to go towards Lochinver.

I almost reached to Inverkirkaig by car and saw the Achins bookshop and coffe shop. I parked, saw the maps in the shop, asked the shop asistent and then walked to Falls of Kirkaig. The Falls was very powerful. Then I returned to Achiltibuie and walked to Sgurr an Fhidhleir.

I think the narrow roads in Caigach is very interesting for cycling. But I had no cycle and it is no cycle rent.

I very liked this places and it is a pitty that I didn't know about them before my trip and waste some time to find the rout to walking. :)

But I liked this narrow road too :) It is very strange for me and very interesting.

Reply to: Visit North West Geopark from Achiltibuie
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Achiltibuie