We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Bealach na Ba Pass - in a motorhome

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
The Bealach na Ba Pass - in a motorhome

Hello,

I have seen mixed reviews about whether to travel the The Bealach na Ba Pass with a motorhome, and so wanted to ask the question with our specific facts in mind.

My husband, our 17-month old son, and I, will be in the Applecross area at the beginning of September, and will be travelling with our rented 6.4m Motorhome.

Although my husband (the designated driver for the holiday) is a confident driver, this is the first time that he will be driving a Motorhome, and the only vehicle that he has driven for the past couple of years is our VW Golf! - so a slight difference in size! ... and we are used to the wide Aussie roads ... and automatic transmission cars! :)

I have heard that it is easier to travel the road from west to east, rather than east to west ... but not sure that we should be travelling at all based on the above.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could please advise their thoughts.

Many thanks in advance,

Becky

Bealach na Ba Road
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mountain and Sea Guides - Day Tours
Kayaking & Canoeing, Climbing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
14 replies to this topic
kent uk
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Bealach na Ba Pass - in a motorhome

Hi we are thinking about touring the 500 but a little worried as we have a 30ft motorhome are there any parts of the root that are a definite no go for a large motorhome???and when is the best time to go?? regards Joe

juwing@aol.com

kent uk
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The Bealach na Ba Pass - in a motorhome

Hi we are thinking about touring the 500 but a little worried as we have a 30ft motorhome are there any parts of the root that are a definite no go for a large motorhome???and when is the best time to go?? regards Joe

juwing@aol.com

Edited: 06 September 2017, 15:57
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,121 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Bealach na Ba Pass - in a motorhome

There are no escape routes or turnings off - if one part of the route is 'unsuitable' then all of it is!

If you are a confident and experienced driver, and in particular if you can reverse the vehicle competently into passing places, you should be OK

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The Bealach na Ba Pass - in a motorhome

If you are a confident motor home driver then you will have no trouble.

I would go in June, when the evenings are light and the school holidays have not begun.

Reply to: The Bealach na Ba Pass - in a motorhome
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Applecross