We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live Scottish football shown in bars

Renfrewshire
Level Contributor
210 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Live Scottish football shown in bars

Hi, I'm hoping to find a bar in the Troon area that will show the Aberdeen match this weekend. I've called and asked one but although they show live football it seems that they won't show the Scottish match i.e. Aberdeen v Celtic. A bit confusing, English matches and not Scottish matches in Scottish bars! Any assistance would be appreciated.

Troon, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live Scottish football shown in bars

You could try the Harbour Bar in Templehill road - across from P and O terminal.

Renfrewshire
Level Contributor
210 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live Scottish football shown in bars

Thanks DunTravelling, will give them a call

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live Scottish football shown in bars

Pubs will show whatever their regular paying customers want. They're not daft. Have you tried The Anchorage Hotel? I'm sure they have a big screen in there for sports.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live Scottish football shown in bars

I was in Troon for the weekend about three years ago, and really wanted to see the Hearts v Rangers game that was on TV on the Saturday lunchtime. I just wandered into town and stuck my head round a couple of bars until I found one that was showing it. I don't think you'll have a problem, really.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live Scottish football shown in bars

I'm not sure if it will have an impact on bars, but I only learned last night from a friend that BT's footie coverage means that SKY no longer show the 12.15 Scottish games......only available via BT!

Renfrewshire
Level Contributor
210 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live Scottish football shown in bars

Thanks everyone for your help. We did eventually get to see it in the Harbour bar...cheers duntravellin! We tried several bars on Portland St first and they were all showing the Liverpool v Stoke match obviously like Purple C said to please customers....I guess tourist to make money and fair enough in these difficult times. One barman in 'Bruce's Wells' on Portland St didn't have BT sports and explained that it was very expensive to subscribe to for bars. Anyway hope this post helps for those Scottish football fans who want to watch a Scottish match when English premiership games are on in Troon. The Harbour Bar is the place to go.

7. Re: Live Scottish football shown in bars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2016, 10:18