We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from Glasgow Int'l airport to Troon docks

Which Troon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
getting from Glasgow Int'l airport to Troon docks

Hi there, we plan to drop our rental car off back at Glasgow Int'l Airport and then try to get to Troon as inexpensively as possible. Can someone please confirm this is possible via the train? Also, once in Troon, is it easy to get to the ferry? We are going to Larne where we will get another rental car and tour N. Ireland. truly thanks, TB

7 replies to this topic
Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from Glasgow Int'l airport to Troon docks

Yes,It's an easy journey.

From the airport take Mcgills bus 757 to Paisley Gilmour Street station,a very short ride.

From Paisley take a train to Troon and then a short cab ride to the ferry.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from Glasgow Int'l airport to Troon docks

I tend to hop in an airport taxi the short journey to paisley gilmour station. It will cost around £6. The drivers sometimes have a wee grumble at such a short fare but I think the taxi Marshall gives them a chitty to get to the front of the taxi rank on return so don't feel too guilty!

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from Glasgow Int'l airport to Troon docks

Oh THANK YOU to you both ! It never ceases to amaze me how wonderful this internet is. Imagine, I am sitting in rural Canada, have never been to Scotland and in a short time am able to get help for my specific situation.

If you have time, the other bugaboo I am facing is the cost of rental cars at the airport. Therefore my question is:

How easy and what is the expense to leave the Glasgow Int'l Airport and go into the city somewhere to an off site car rental shop? Is there a train or bus shuttle from the airport? I ask because Toronto does not have this, you have to cab it and it is costly.

again, truly thanks, T

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from Glasgow Int'l airport to Troon docks

One suggestion would be Arnold Clark who have an office near the airport.

This is a well regarded Scottish company.

arnoldclarkrental.com/airport-car-hire/glasg…

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from Glasgow Int'l airport to Troon docks

As the ferry is seasonal from Troon harbour, it gets very busy. We arrived just over an hour before the sailing and they were struggling to get everyone on board for the scheduled departure. We left 10 minutes late. Give yourself at least 2 hours to make the experience stress free.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from Glasgow Int'l airport to Troon docks

I doubt you will get cheaper off airport. From personal experience I find rental at GLA and EDI fairly reasonable.

I would look at travelsupermarket.com and use a trusted broker like Autoeurope.com or holidayautos.com

I use these all the time and just rented a car for the end of the month via Autoeurope and got a nice SUV for 4 days for GBP121 with Thrifty. I could have got an economy car for 50 GBP less though.

Comparing that to doing the same booking in a city location in Glasgow it was much cheaper at the airport. Arnold Clark are fine but they are off airport and not that cheap unless you are renting per week.

Are you picking the car up from GLA also? Otherwise you could drop the car at Prestwick airport and take the train or a cab from there. This might mean a one way drop off fee though (normally around GBP30)

By the way why not just fly to Belfast from GLA?

Edited: 09 August 2014, 08:02
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from Glasgow Int'l airport to Troon docks

I think fly from Glasgow to Belfast is the best suggestion you have had yet.

Reply to: getting from Glasgow Int'l airport to Troon docks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted