We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocation

Which Maryville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rochester
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Relocation

I am considering retiring within the next year. I am looking for a location that has a reasonable cost of living, good fresh water fishing, good health care for someone 60+, and weather that is not real hot, but not real cold either. Does anyone feel Maryville would fit the bill. If not, any other suggestions?

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocation

Maryville is a nice small southern town. There is good fishing within a few miles and some world class health care is available in Knoxville. However even though Maryville is at the foothills of the Smokies it still gets very hot and humid during the summer months. Highs are going to be in the 90's with high humidity. Winters are fairly mild with a few measurable snow falls and lows typically no lower than 15 -20 degrees. Hope this helps. I lived in Knoxville for 24 years and am very familiar with Maryville and the surrounding areas.

Maryville, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocation

Wife and I retired and moved to the Maryville area from Michigan about 6 years ago. We love the area.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocation

I agree that Tennessee, even in the mountains where Maryville is located, can get rather humid in the summer. But it is definitely not like Miami or Arizona heat. I cannot vouch for the fishing, alas. :-)

I really like that area and have visited nearby Townsend many times. My in-laws live in Knoxville and my father-in-law has a family practice there, so I know there are some good hosptials in the area. It's worth a visit.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocation

We will be visiting the area in March. Have been trying to locate a restaurant with breakfast. Anyone have any ideas beside venturing out on the Interstates, or going to GB or Sevier.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Get answers to your questions about Maryville