We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Hours in Stornoway

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
88 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
8 Hours in Stornoway

Hi! We will have 8 hours in Stornoway, arriving on a cruise ship June 23 at 9. We will not be taking any of the cruise excursions. What would you recommend to do for the day? We like to walk, browse the local shops, have lunch, and my husband is an avid photographer. There hasn't been any recent postings in this forum, so I'm just hoping for some updated information - if there is any!

Thanks! Angelika

18 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Hours in Stornoway

I would say - take one of the excursions. If you really have no interest in some of the places outside Stornoway, then you can enjoy it for the day, but I'm not sure there is 8 hours of interest there. I may be wrong, though, having only been there once.

You don't fancy Callanish, the Blackhouses; the incredbile huge beaches; the hills; the amazing church at Rodel; the cliffs at the north tip of Lewis??

Mentioned in this post
Callanish
Callanish
Isle of Lewis, UK
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
88 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Hours in Stornoway

Hi! I do fancy Callanish, the Blackhouses, etc. - unfortunately, the ship excursions are sold out and I have not had any luck finding a private tour operator to take us around and show us these sights. I have contacted a car rental company to see if we could rent a car for the day and drive ourselves around, but have not yet received a reply. So in case I am limited to spending the day in Stornoway, I want to make the best/most of it! Thanks for your quick response - I do appreciate it!

Mentioned in this post
Callanish
Callanish
Isle of Lewis, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Hours in Stornoway

Have you tried this lot?

http://www.carhire-hebrides.co.uk/

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
88 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Hours in Stornoway

Thank you - I just sent them an inquiry!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 Hours in Stornoway

www.lewis-car-rental.co.uk/

we had a day in Stornoway off a cruise ship last July, we rented from these people, good service, £45 for the car for the day, about a quarter of what it would have cost for the ship's excursions, we went straight to Callanish, had a good look about and left when the excursion rolled up. 800 people got off that ship, only us and one other couple hired our own car, the rest piled into buses, I know which I prefer.

Mentioned in this post
Callanish
Callanish
Isle of Lewis, UK
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 Hours in Stornoway

Just another thought...........

you say you have e mailed them 'today',

do not expect an answer on the Sabbath, and tomorrow and Tuesday and Bank Holidays , so you probably wont hear anything from anyone in the Western Isles until Wednesday at least.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,848 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 Hours in Stornoway

There are a few car hire companies in and around Stornoway, and you should be able to hire a car if you book it now. The biggest danger is that some of your fellow passengers might have got there first! Although tomorrow and Tuesday are bank holidays, I suspect some of them will be open anyway - people do hire cars on bank holidays, I believe!

8. Re: 8 Hours in Stornoway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2016, 13:00

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 Hours in Stornoway

There isn't enough to occupy you in Stornoway for 8 hours. It's not very big and not the most picturesque place. There are some nice walks in the grounds of Lews Castle. You'll have done the sights (and had a cup of coffee) in a couple of hours.

If you have problems finding car hire there is always the bus:

cne-siar.gov.uk/travel/…indexlh.asp

You'll need to spend a bit of time with the timetables to work out the best way to use the time as there aren't as many services on a Saturday. Bus services are good and connections really do work. You can get to Calanais on the bus.

You can also get the bus to Tarbert where it is possible to do a circular tour. Stay on the W10 to Leverburgh which takes you down the west coast with glorious sandy beaches to Leverburgh. . At Leverburgh get W13 which takes you back up the east coast of Harris to Tarbet along what is described as the 'Golden Road'. Because it was so expensive to build. Then get W10 back to Stornoway. (This can also be done the other way round - check which works best for you).

Do tell the bus driver what you are doing. They love to talk and will probably give you a running commentary as you go (plus all the local gossip). The W13 doesn't get many passengers so the driver will be delighted to have you on board.

Mentioned in this post
Lews Castle
Lews Castle
456 Reviews
Isle of Lewis, UK
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
88 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 Hours in Stornoway

Thank you - I just sent Lewis car rental an inquiry - I hope I'm not too late! I agree - I'd much rather be on my own than on a big tour bus.

Edited: 03 June 2012, 17:42
Reply to: 8 Hours in Stornoway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stornoway