We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to reach and visit Luskentyre beach from Stornoway

Earth, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How to reach and visit Luskentyre beach from Stornoway

Hello,

I'd like to stay a few days in Stornoway in August...just to visit Luskentyre (and possibly swim!).

As far as I understood...I can take a bus W10 in the morning (cne-siar.gov.uk/travel/…indexlh.asp), and get to "Luskentyre Turn" at 11 a.m....then walk to the beach, see/swim, and at 1518 I can take the bus back to Stornoway.

But...do you think that there is enough time (4 hours)? What is this "Luskentyre Turn"? Is it this point?

https://maps.google.de/maps?q=Luskentyre,+Na+h-Eileanan+an+Iar+HS3,+Regno+Unito&hl=it&ll=57.868173,-6.899776&spn=0.000669,0.002642&sll=51.151786,10.415039&sspn=6.4649,21.643066&geocode=FeVMcwMdRvyV_w&hnear=Luskentyre,+Regno+Unito&t=h&z=19

?

Thanks a lot

8 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to reach and visit Luskentyre beach from Stornoway

A good option might be to check with the bus station in Stornoway - 01851 704327.

But this service - from Stornoway to Leverburgh - can only go past Luskentyre - it cannot miss it. The driver will tell you the best place to get off, and the best place to wait for the return service to Stornoway.

Four hours should be plenty of time on the beach.

scotland
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to reach and visit Luskentyre beach from Stornoway

If you go by bus, it will drop you at the main road, it is a fair walk into Luskentyre.

It would be bes to hire a car., then you could have a day exploring Harris.

Scotland
Level Contributor
248 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to reach and visit Luskentyre beach from Stornoway

If you let the bus driver know what your plans are, they'll look out for you on the return journey. It's a good couple of miles from the main road to the road end and the beach. So long as you don't mind the walk, then you should have enough time to do it.

Dorset
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to reach and visit Luskentyre beach from Stornoway

Hello,

You will not be disappointed with your visit to Luskintyre.

We have made the trip there from Stornoway three times over the years. We hired a car and drove. The roads are excellent.

Stornoway bus station staff are very helpful if you wish to travel with them.

If you have the opportunity, I recommend you visit the Temple cafe, Harris. Both the food and the views are great and it is very relaxed.

Happy holiday!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,803 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to reach and visit Luskentyre beach from Stornoway

Hi DorsetJoey. I've not heard of the Temple Cafe. If you liked it consider adding to this thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k39…

Bo'ness, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to reach and visit Luskentyre beach from Stornoway

Am travelling with a friend on a tour coach from central Scotland on Friday 11th August, arriving evening and departing on Monday morning, staying at Caladh Inn. The main purpose of our journey, apart from looking forward to seeing parts of Scotland as yet unknown to us, is so that my friend can scatter her daughter's ashes at Luskentyre beach. This was her last wish, as she had previously visited the island but did not make it to this particular beach, as the weather had closed in, and sadly she never again had the opportunity to make this journey from her home in southern England. I would very much appreciate some prior information in advance of us arriving this Friday night.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: How to reach and visit Luskentyre beach from Stornoway

More than enough time! Have an enjoyable visit to the beach but if the usual rain in August returns you will wish for an earlier return bus!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to reach and visit Luskentyre beach from Stornoway

Welcome to the forum John. But look at the dates - both OP and Maria B paid their visits to Luskentyre a long time ago!

Reply to: How to reach and visit Luskentyre beach from Stornoway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stornoway