We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

midges in july

paisley galsgow
Level Contributor
203 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
midges in july

hi i was thinking of doing a weeks camping holiday with the kids at shielings in late july. has anyone got any exsperience of how bad the midges might be at this time of year many thanks .

Midlands
Level Contributor
1 post
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: midges in july

We stayed in Salen last July. The midges are always worst near standing water, and on still evenings. On a trip to the Mull Theatre even my husband got 7 bites and normally insects never bite him! My daughter got 37 bites in two days but that was partly because of standing near Salen bay in the evening taking photos.

As for camping I think you'd probably get more midges, especially around lights at night. The locals recommend either Avon Skin So Soft (green bottle) body oil spray or something called Midge Stop which you can buy on mainland Scotland and also in many shops on Mull. You can also get it online.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: midges in july

You will get midges. They like damp, overcast conditions and dislike wind and smoke. As far as possible find a breezy place away from the long grass. eg by the shore. If you know any smokers, hug them close.

DEET based insect repellents are effective but if you miss a spot, the midges will find it. The stuff melts some plastics. Goodness knows what it does to your skin.

Isle of Mull...
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: midges in july

Must admit they can be bad, especially when the air is still, but usually there is some wind, which keeps them at bay. The Sheilings is in a good spot, but as with any camping you cannot close your doors and windows and keep the blighters out, you would be best investing in midge head nets, you will look really stupid, but you will be the one laughing as you will be able to be out and about in the evenings, midges love it when the sun starts to set, and the air is a bit cooler. Apparently because of the severe winter with lots of ice the midges will be less this year. So fingers crossed x Think I'd rather do self-catering or B&B though! But you will love Mull for sure!

Newton-le-Willows
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: midges in july

Hi, We've just got back from camping on Mull, had four nights near Tobermory and two on the Shielings site in Craignure. The first night on the Shielings site was great, plenty of wind (as it overlooks the Sound of Mull, a beautiful spot), but the second night was deadly calm and we were eating late (big mistake lol). Let's call it a 'frenzy'. They devoured us! But I put it down to not doing my homework on the topic like you are doing now. Stopping at a B&B in the Trossachs on the way home, we explained our plight to several people who all recommended 'Skin so Soft' body oil by Avon. This apparently doesn't stop them landing on you, but stops them biting you. The repellants we took, both brand name and locally made/bought didn't work. Other suggestions I have found since coming back (yesterday) suggest washing exposed areas of your body in Coal Tar Soap, as this puts the blighters off your smell. Good luck. Apart from this 'small' hiccup Mull itself is a fantastic place. You will be in awe at some of the scenery, I promise you. I suggest Staffa Island, Ulva, and Iona for visits while you're there, plus an early morning visit to Calgary beach is a must if you're keen on photography. Bon Voyage!

UK
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: midges in july

I can say the avon skin so soft moisturising cream worked for us. Have just returned, we were out regularly in the evening and not one bite - and I usually get eaten alive! We may have just been lucky or Avon has invented a winner!

6. Re: midges in july

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 05:15