We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day on Mull Tues 12th July

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
One day on Mull Tues 12th July

greetings, all.

day four of our cruise will be spent on Mull, landing at Tobermory,

this is a shorter day as we have to be back on board for 17.00, but still thinking to rent a car and have a look around, possible a loop round the top half of the Island, I would love to see the sea eagles, anyone know of a good vantage point? or something else I might have missed?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One day on Mull Tues 12th July

The sight of sea eagles soaring is amazing and one you'll never forget. While there are places you stand a better chance of seeing them there is no guarantee they will appear for you....

Have a read of this article:

…visitscotland.com/sitewide/…

You may stand better chance of seeing eagles if you join one of the 'tours' and go with an expert.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day on Mull Tues 12th July

You could hire a car, or take an organised trip, or even get a taxi to drop you off and pick you up. Lots of helpful links for all the options here:

www.tobermory.co.uk/carhire-taxies-trips.htm

EESW is right that you will stand a better chance of seeing wildlife with a local guided tour, rather than going it alone in a hire car.

Alternatively, there's good walking to be had in the immediate vicinity of Tobermory (some of which you might want to take a taxi to the start point): tobermory.co.uk/walks-around-Tobermory.htm

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day on Mull Tues 12th July

That's 3 votes for a local guide! They know all the usual places and can see things you will miss. Wildlife IS unpredictable but its amazing how often you see it in the same places on a day to day basis - so go with someone who knows and make the best use of your time.

www.wildlifemull.co.uk

This guy says he picks up and drops off from the ferries!

Woody x

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day on Mull Tues 12th July

Much as I would love to see sea eagles, I would also consider seeing Iona and Staffa.

Unique islands just off Mull. You may even see the eagles en route.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
732 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day on Mull Tues 12th July

I agree with the last comment. To come this far and not set foot into Fingal's Cave would be unthinkable, in my view. (..and I did indeed see the eagles while crossing Mull...)

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day on Mull Tues 12th July

I would agree that Iona and Staffa are magical - however I thought time seemed a bit limited and as the roads are narrow the journey from Tobermory, though scenic, would mean a lot of time spent in the car. OP particularly wanted to see sea eagles and its certainly more difficult if you are not prepared to "stand and stare" as William Henry Davies penned so beautifully!

W x

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day on Mull Tues 12th July

thanks everyone, will look into going with a guide to Loch Frisa, I have been to Iona once, and I expect it to be one of the cruise options, I dont fancy doing it again with 200 others, it would ruin my memories of the place,

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day on Mull Tues 12th July

What did you do and how did it go

We are going on a cruise there in August and would like info

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day on Mull Tues 12th July

If you start early, you could drive from Tobermory to Fionnhport (where the boats for Iona&Staffa leave) within 3 hours along the west coast of Mull. Absolutely spectacular! BUT: this will be almost 100 % single track road.

To visit Staffa will take 30 minutes boat, 30 minutes Fingal's Cave visit, 30 minutes to Iona. There you will spend at least 2 hours as it is a magical place.

To go back to Tobermory via DUART CASTLE ( another hghlight) will take another 2-3 hours.

This will be a 10 hour roundtrip. A hard and eventful day. Another question is whether it makes sense to travel the "asian" way. You know "Europe in 5 days".

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,908 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day on Mull Tues 12th July

Good ideas, Maetzli. One snag - today is Wednesday 13th July ;-)