We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the story - Tobermory?

Which Tobermory hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
946 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
What's the story - Tobermory?

Hi

We're staying in Dunoon for a week and even though they're much older now (13 & 10) the kids really want to see the 'Balamory' setting.

I've just been looking at Ferry prices and as there are 6 of us in a people carrier, it's coming out at just over £100 which is a bit steep considering we'll probably just take a photo...

Would we be better off going as foot passengers and just getting local transport? If so, is it easy enough and any idea on cost? Also we'd like to have our dog with us - is he allowed on as a foot passenger on the ferry and will he be let on the bus?

On a separate note - we'd like to visit Loch Sheil and Glenfinnan (huge Harry Potter fans) the day after so looking for some cheap accommodation on route - do you think we'd be better just getting a Travel Lodge in Fort William.

Any advice much appreciated :)

S

11 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
946 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the story - Tobermory?

Sorry - just to add. Ideally, all we want is a trip to Tobermory - is there a boat trip that just does this? I can find lots of boat trips from Tobermory but none that seem to take you there for an afternoon.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 19:59
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the story - Tobermory?

You can take the Oban-Craignure ferry as foot passengers and then the local bus to Tobermory. Buses are scheduled to correspond with the ferry.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the story - Tobermory?

As mentioned, you can easily do this by public transport as foot passengers. However, if you're solely going to see the Balamory houses you will be disappointed.

Pocket and Sweet (red) was never a real place in the first place, and was a painted fake shop front so doesn't exist

Edie McReadie's bus garage (blue) was a hardware store, but has long since been taken over by Tobermory Chocolate and painted brown

Miss Hoolie's house (green) has been repainted a different colour, as the residents were getting constantly hassled

Jose Jump's house (yellow) is the Park Lodge hotel, and is still recognisable

Spencer's house (orange) and PC Plum's (white) were still recognisable last time I checked

Archie's castle (pink) was never in Tobermory to start with

Tobermory is a lovely place for a day trip (the journey itself is wonderful) and there is probably enough to keep your kids entertained - things like this: tobermory.co.uk/activities/…

But best to set the Balamory expectations appropriately.

Bus timetable: westcoastmotors.co.uk/userfiles/…495_A41.pdf

Ferry timetable: calmac.co.uk/timetables/…

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the story - Tobermory?

THB I would take the vehicle, it only works out at £16 each, and stay for the day, Mull is delightful, a real experience, (and the dog will love it).

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,791 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the story - Tobermory?

Buses on Mull take dogs at the driver's discretion. In practice this means that as long as your dog is well behaved it will be OK. Definitely OK on the ferry too.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 08:14
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the story - Tobermory?

Several years ago now we took our (large) labrador on a bus/ ferry trip to Iona from Oban. He was fine on buses and ferries and even the small boat out to Iona. But he was completely unflappable, the only bit he didnt like was going down the gangway off the ship as it was at a steep angle!

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the story - Tobermory?

If you go by car, you might consider leaving Tobermory on the ferry that makes the short crossing to Kilchoan on the Ardnamurchan peninsular calmac.co.uk/timetables/…

From there you could take the B8007 to Salen, the A861 to Lochailort and the A830 to Glenfiinnan, then on to Fort William.

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the story - Tobermory?

as mentioned the crossing from Tobermory to Kilchoan is very nice and is a trip myself, the family and dog have done, just for the ferry ride and then on to Sanna sands. You have to be able to stomach the winding, two hour (at a fair pace) drive on single track road on to Salen. Miss Hoolies house is green again btw.

England
Level Contributor
946 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the story - Tobermory?

Hi - thanks all for the great ideas

We went last Wednesday. Took the 9.50 ferry from Oban (you have to check in 30 mins before and we were 3 mins late so was redirected to standby line and we were really lucky to get on). The dogs were as good as gold.

Unfortunately it rained cats and dogs for most of the day - we drove round the coast, which was beautiful even in the rain!

There was an hours break from the downpour and so we stopped for a picnic and lovely walk on the beach at Calgary Bay. I can only imagine what this beach would look like in sunshine because it was magnificent.

Again when we reached Tobermory the sun came out and we had a really pleasant wander. Kids haven't watched Ballamory for a few years and their memories were a bit sketchy so they were satisfied with the coloured houses. We bought the obligatory souvenirs, had a bite to eat at the pub (haggis tempura was delish) and then we caught the 6pm ferry from Tobermory to Kilchoan.

A few years ago my friends bought me a 'title' for my birthday as a gimmick it came with a square foot of land on the 'Kincavel Estate' which was a 10 minute drive from Kilchoan.

The sun was still belting down and we had the co-ordinates so we made a pilgrimage to find my plot. For something so insignificant we had so much fun finding it and taking pics of us all on 'my land' (one at a time of course as that's how big it is!).

Had a lovely drive back to Fort William and stopped at a gorgeous loch side restaurant on the way home (it was still warm enough to eat outside at 9pm). We saw lots of birds and a Pine Martin which was the perfect end to the day :)

We did Loch Shiel, Glenfinnan and Mallaig - including the return journey on the Jacobite, the following day (and again it was perfick!)

Thanks again for helping to make it so special :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the story - Tobermory?

Great! Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply to: What's the story - Tobermory?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted