We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disappointed by a few unwelcoming establishments.

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Disappointed by a few unwelcoming establishments.

Visited on a day trip with our small chihuahua dog. Women in the Pier Cafe told us she didn't have a problem with us taking the dog in but other people might, so we weren't allowed in. We couldn't even sit outside to eat. Would of been far better if they had a "no dogs" policy rather than the response we received. They let people smoke whilst eating outside but won't let a dog sit under a table. Which is more disgusting ??!!! It's not as if dogs are contaminating the table, cutlery or food. Apart from a couple of ladies who had just ordered coffees to have outside so they could smoke, the place was empty.

We then tried to shop in Browns ironmonger, (with our chihuahua in my arms), after seeing placemats and mugs in the window which we wanted to purchase. A very gruff man bawled at us as he came out of his "office" that he didn't allow dogs as his cat hated them and promptly "shooed" us out flapping his hand at us. So rude and uncalled for, especially when he sells "pet supplies" and there is no sign of a "no dogs" notice anywhere. Business must be booming before he can afford to be so rude.

All in all we didn't have a very enjoyable visit to Tobermory. We do understand that traders may not be happy with dogs on their premises but as a high majority of visitors to the island will have their beloved pets with them, maybe many of them should try and be a bit more accommodating or at the very least a bit more polite !!! Or have clear signs up to avoid visitors with dogs having to be refused entry and made to feel like lepers. We are both Scottish and fortunately we know that there are many many welcoming and dog friendly places in Scotland to visit , it's a pity such a beautiful place as Tobermory isn't one of them.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disappointed by a few unwelcoming establishments.

<< but as a high majority of visitors to the island will have their beloved pets with them,>>

Do you have stats to support that claim ?

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disappointed by a few unwelcoming establishments.

Sorry but I don't go around counting the ratio of dogs per human, but on the day we visited there were dogs galore. Dogs being welcome was one of our issues but the rudeness of some traders was the other. And I rest my case !

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disappointed by a few unwelcoming establishments.

So one shop and one restaurant told you they had a "no dogs" policy once you were inside? That might be useful information to visitors, but your post title makes it sound as if there are a "few" establishments which are "unwelcoming" - which is a little unfair.

Most responsible dog owners I know accept that the default setting for most shops, cafés, restaurants and pubs is "no dogs", and will enquire on entry "is it OK to bring the dog in?".

I am also baffled by your assertion that a "high majority" travel with dogs.

I have always found Tobermory to be a wonderfully friendly and welcoming place. It's a shame you are judging the whole place by your experience in one shop and one restaurant.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 15:55
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disappointed by a few unwelcoming establishments.

blondie, I don't doubt that your dog is well behaved, but not all are. If establishments make an exception for your small dog, at what size to they say to somebody else that they bring theirs in.

Your experience in the ironmongers does seem to have been poor, although we don't know how the cat reacts to dogs so the reaction may have been more of panic than intentionally rude.

Most shops in my area don't have 'no dogs' signs - it's simply recognised at the norm that they aren't allowed in.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disappointed by a few unwelcoming establishments.

Of course in other countries they do let dogs into restaurants - but then eat them

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disappointed by a few unwelcoming establishments.

Manners cost nothing. Hope you felt welcome everywhere else, especially as you say there were dogs everywhere. I'm allergic to them, but doesn't mean I don't like them.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disappointed by a few unwelcoming establishments.

We visited Tobermory in Feb and despite many places being closed, we found those open, friendly and welcoming and have vowed to return at a more sensible time of the year when we can appreciate the island and enjoy it better.

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disappointed by a few unwelcoming establishments.

There were a couple of other places that were a bit off with us re:the dog too but they weren't really rude like the two I felt I had to comment on. MacGochans on the other hand were very welcoming of our dog and we ate a lovely meal there, which I have taken the time to review. If there are no signs on establishments saying no dogs allowed then we have to ask if they are allowed in, as many places do allow dogs and you can't know this until you ask. We have travelled all over the UK with our dogs through the years and have never had the reception we received in Tobermory. I appreciate that some people do not like dogs and I have no problem with that. I also do not have a problem with establishments that have a no dogs policy if they prefer no dogs. But there is a more polite way to convey this to potential customers. I was merely commenting on two establishments in particular who we found extremely rude when there was no need. I may also add that on returning to our self catering accommodation and chatting to the family staying next door to us who also had their dog with them on holiday, that they also had the same issues on Tobermory and said they didn't feel very welcome in certain establishments there because of the dog. My header didn't say the whole of Tobermory was unwelcoming !!! But our experience has left us feeling we have no desire to return or recommend it to friends with dogs. We have spent 6 days touring the west coast area including several islands and the rest were very welcoming in every shop, restaurant, bar, cafe, museums etc that we visited. Charlemaine, your comments are not even worthy of an answer.. All I will say is that my post was about a place in the UK !

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,802 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disappointed by a few unwelcoming establishments.

We have a chihuahua (well, we are looking after him while my sister is working abroad in Cyprus) and they can be a bit gnarly (Henry the short hair is anyway - he's very territorial, like most dogs of that breed!) but he is very well behaved in public (unlike some dog owners with their out of control Staffies like we get here in Liverpool!).

But don't let it put you off taking your dog on holiday in future.

It's the disobediant "humans" that I am more concerned with. ;-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Disappointed by a few unwelcoming establishments.

Unlike PurpleC I am not allergic to dogs, I just don't like them. Nice to see a few places refusing them entry.

Thanks for posting the info about the place that did allow dogs. If I am in the vicinity I will know to avoid it.