We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter in Scotland

switzerland
4 posts
Save Topic
Easter in Scotland

Hello wise ones!

we are planning an 8-day family holiday ( 2 girls, 12 and 14) next week! and would like your input. We thought we would hire a car from Edinburgh ( any recommendations for goo value car hire?) , drive to Perthshire, explore Perth, Loch Tay and hopefully walk up Ben Lawers ( are there guides?). Then head off to the isle of Skye for a day or so, coming back to Argyll ( Mull and perhaps another island ), eat at the Loch Fyne oyster bar. Then a day at St Andrews and the East Neuk before having the last 2 days in Edinburgh.

Do we need to book the B&B's in advance, any recommendations?

We are active and love (unfried) seafood and bars.

Thanks for your advice.

kbill8

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Dunvegan Castle & Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Gardens
Skye Minibus Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Skye Silver Gift Shop
Gift & Speciality Shops
scotland
Level Contributor
49 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter in Scotland

I think you may find you spend a lot of time in the car with your itinary.

Also I would start looking for places to stay now.In the tourist areas Most B+Bs and Hotels will be booked for Easter.

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter in Scotland

Your Itinerary is great except you can save yourself a lot of $$ and angst by skipping the Lock Fyne Oyster Bar. IMHO. We have been there 2 times, 8 months apart, and each visit was such a disappointment we left angry, especially after going a 2nd time. The oysters are like $5.00 a piece! (when $ converted)! and only OK. They are harvested just out the front door (not flown from abroad-why the cost?), and the rest of the meal was overpriced, dried-out, and sides must be purchased separately, including bread & butter, and the staff can be rude and dismissive (both times) and there were only less than a dozen other diners. NEVER AGAIN. I was very frustrated with finding fresh seafood altogether in Scotland; I can see the fishing boats, but when I inquired where can I can eat that seafood I was told to fly to Spain because that is where most fresh seafood goes for better prices. The best I could ever do was frozen fish, even at really nice restaurants. Except for the cities (Edin, Glas) I found this all over Scotland, and I go to a different region of Scotland every year for 4 weeks. When you get to Skye, eat at Creeler's in Broadford for good seafood and fine treatment. Safe Journeys, --Sandy

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Spain
Spain
Europe
Broadford
Broadford
Isle of Skye, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter in Scotland

If you spend two of your eight days in Edinburgh (which is a good idea), that leaves you only six days to cover all the rest of your itinerary. I think you are trying to do too much.

Next week is getting near Easter and B&B's will be filling up in the more touristy areas. Best make a note of the contact details of Tourist Information Centres in the areas you plan to visit, and then you can phone ahead and book through them. See www.britainexpress.com/TIC/scotland.htm

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter in Scotland

By the way, I think the rant (above) about the Loch Fyne restaurant is a bit over the top. Here is a link to the menu.

lochfyne.com/getdoc/…menu-08-revised.aspx

As you see, the oysters are £1.50 each - i.e. about $2, not $5!

I like the place. I have only eaten there a couple of times (that's all I can afford!), but I was quite satisfied on both occasions. That said, it is expensive, so I can appreciate why Sandy may have felt disappointed.

switzerland
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter in Scotland

Thanks for the tip Sandy. Funny how it is like this in many seaports.. had the same experience when we camp at St Marie de la mer every year. Only about 3 good fish restaurants in a touristic fishing village. I don't understand why almost everything is deep fried in the UK, last time in Ireland, even the breakfast was deep fried!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
switzerland
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter in Scotland

Yes, I wa afraid that I was too ambitious.. agree with potatomum and yourself. What should I skip? Skye or Mull? Kim

Glasgow
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter in Scotland

Which would you prefer to see I suppose is the obvious question.

If you make yourself a list of reasons for visiting them then pick one of the islands you can plan your trip around that.

The comments about the Loch Fyne Oyster bar may be a bit over the top but I think that in recent years they have gone down hill quite a bit.

The food can be very good, but the service erratic which is a shame.

There is a Loch Fyne Osyter Bar in Edinburgh now as well if that helps you at all. They have spead them selves too thin for my liking, I preferred it when it was a special visit to their one outlet.

lochfyne.com/getdoc/…Locations.aspx

Recently discussing sea food with a restaurant owner and as he pointed out the best shellfish from Scotland is to be found in Barcelona.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter in Scotland

For car hire try Arnold Clark.

I don't think there are mountain guides for Ben Lawers. It's quite a big walk, but that's no problem where you come from. :-)

Yes, I think the obvuious solution would be to skip Skye or Mull. Difficult decision. Skye is the more spectacular of the two, scenically, but Mull is a lovely island, and I recommend a day trip from there to the neighbouring small island of Iona

Glasgow
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter in Scotland

http://www.incallander.co.uk/walks/lawers.htm

www.scottishsport.co.uk/walking/Lawers.htm

www.munromagic.com/RouteInfo.cfm?RouteID=11

Some info on Ben Lawers for you

scotland
Level Contributor
49 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter in Scotland

I would go to the Isle of Skye and visit Eilean Donan castle and Plockton on route.Plockton has two good pubs and a fine restaurant serving local seafood.

If you have the time go over to Applecross via the spectacular Highest road in Great Britain and eat at the Applecross Inn .Not all Scottish seafood goes to Spain.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Get answers to your questions about Dunvegan
Recent Conversations