We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you had one day on the Isle of Skye, what would you do?

boston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
If you had one day on the Isle of Skye, what would you do?

we are driving up for one overnight from Edinburgh, what should we do with this short time? what town should we aim to stay in? I suppose we dont want to go too far north with this short amount of time? I would love to hear your thoughts. thanks. lynne

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you had one day on the Isle of Skye, what would you do?

if you are driving from Edinburgh to Skye one day and back the next, you won't have time to see anything ON Skye.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you had one day on the Isle of Skye, what would you do?

A lot depends on what time of year this is planned for. If it's now, then I wouldn't bother. It's dark so early you wouldn't see much.

If it's in June then you have 18 hours of daylight so you might think it's worth it.

It takes me around 6 hours to do the drive from Edinburgh to Skye. That's with stops for picnics and so on. I don't know how long it would take you.

I also don't know what you like to do. I like walking and scenery so I would stay in Portree and I would go walking in the area just north of Portree near the Staffin Road.

theskyeguide.com/walking-mainmenu-32/13-mode…

More info about what you expect to see/do would help.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you had one day on the Isle of Skye, what would you do?

Hi Lynne, and welcome to the forum.

As the others have said, one overnight is such a short stay I'm not sure it's worth the trip. But is you are already committed, then goodwitch's suggestion as as good as any - stay in Portree and have a short walk in the Staffin area.

There are two routes to Skye - the Skye Bridge and the ferry from Mallaig. Just to vary the journey. it might be worth travelling out one way and back the other.

boston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you had one day on the Isle of Skye, what would you do?

We were thinking of taking a drive up there 11/14, leaving at 6am, and though its for a short stay, we would go up there mainly for the journey itself, so are interested in a lovely ride up with stops to picnic and to see the land which we hear is so beautiful. What are the hours of daylight at this time, as that is a very good point. We dont have any expectations to do lots of hiking, but simply to catch a small glimpse of this amazing landscape. (my son is a student in Edinburgh, so has not been able to travel about much, not having a car, and this is something he would like to see a bit of).

Is one route up better than another?

Is Portree on the southern end of Skye?

thank you so very much for your quick response. lynne

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you had one day on the Isle of Skye, what would you do?

are you from Boston America or Boston Lincolnshire?

if the date you put means 14th November there will not be a lot of daylight hours, you could go to Skye by Mallaig/Armadale (ferry) and possibly drive round to Elgol to see the Cuillins, and then off again at Kyleakin(bridge).

Portree is further north once you are on Skye (you need a map, you can pick good AA maps up at most garages for a few pounds).

However , the weather is the boss, you could get a nice trip but if it is dull or foggy the whole trip could be a waste of time.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you had one day on the Isle of Skye, what would you do?

Do you mean 14th November? (We would say 14/11 over here if that's the case) There will be daylight in Edinburgh from about 8am till 4pm on that date. Weather can make a huge difference to that, however.

If the journey's the thing I'd head up the A82, through Glencoe and over the Skye Bridge. With such a tight time scale I'd forget about the ferry but you might really want to do that. You must get a map and look at where you want to go.

Portree is half way through Skye and about an hour's drive, but I like Portree and the scenery north East of Portree will knock your socks off (IMHO)

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,025 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you had one day on the Isle of Skye, what would you do?

Hi, it's Boston USA and i think as pointed out already due to the lack of daylight this would be a wasted journey.

If you are just out for a drive and a snapshot of the scenery then why don't you drive through from Edinburgh to Glasgow and head up the A82 to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs and head around the Trossachs via the A85 then on the A84 down through Callander and back to Edinburgh possibly taking in Stirling Castle and the Wallace Monument if you have time.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you had one day on the Isle of Skye, what would you do?

he' s not so mad as he seems you know.

that is a much more sensible idea. You might get to Skye in a day and have thick fog the next day driving back. 150 miles may not seem a lot to an American used to highways but it can be terrifying in the mountains. It is not really a sensible or safe idea, go to Loch Lomond, save Skye for next time. Sorry.

Portree, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you had one day on the Isle of Skye, what would you do?

Lynne, If you are still thinking of coming up here would probably be best just to drive up on the one day and not plan too much more. If you stay in Portree it is around 32 miles from the Skye Bridge. In the morning you could head up the Staffin Road which has wonderful views then cut through the Quiraing and back down the road via Uig. It can be dull (weatherwise) in the winter so views could be limited. If your son is really keen and you are happy to drive then it could be worth taking a chance on the weather. The road from Edinburgh to Skye is fine. The road from Staffin through the Quiraing is single track. Just take your time. Hope you have a great time whatever you decide.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you had one day on the Isle of Skye, what would you do?

Hi

Why not see what the weather is like when you get here and then decide. If it is good then you could drive to Skye and back - if not, then much as I love the place, a shorter trip would be better.

If you go for a shorter version, I'd suggest heading to Glencoe and back - a bit more scenery - and wider open spaces than just to loch lomond.

If you do head for Skye, I agree Portree is one of the most attractive places to stay.

Get answers to your questions about Kyleakin