We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good mid point between Skye and Edinburgh

Which Kyleakin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Acton, MA
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
good mid point between Skye and Edinburgh

We are planning a 10-day trip to Scotland in late Aug-Early Sep, and are almost finished with the bulk of the planning--we hope. On the first night we'll stay in Stirling: next night Ft William for the steam train the next day; then Skye for 2 nights (possibly Kyleakin). Next we'd like to drive back to Edinburgh with possibly a short diversion to Plockton and Loch Ness; with the rest of the time in Edinburgh. Could anyone suggest a good half-way point between Kyleakin and Edinburgh, to spend the night? Many thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good mid point between Skye and Edinburgh

You have a number of choices, depending on how much driving you want to do: Pitlochry, Crieff, Aberfeldy, etc, or my favourite, Dunkeld.

By the way, I'd check you are happy with Kyleakin. It is only just on the island... :-)

I mean it's not central if you want to explore the other side of the island.

Acton, MA
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good mid point between Skye and Edinburgh

We haven't booked yet. Would Broadford be better, or somewhere else? I thought Portree might be a bit far out for us, plus. I'm a little aprehensive about the single track roads. We'll check out Dunkeld. It sounds interesting, although I guess it'd involve more driving than the other places (but less on the next day!). Many thanks.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good mid point between Skye and Edinburgh

Portree is the only real town on Skye, offering a range of shops, restaurants, garages &c. and it is pretty central. The road from Kyleakin to Portree is as good as any in the highlands - the single track roads are those leading to more remote locations, and there isn't usually much traffic on them at all. No need for concern - there are passing places every few yards.

I agree with Peter that, if you are going to break your journey between Edinburgh and Skye, that would be best done on the Perth-Pitlochry section of the road as there are plenty of good options. Dunkeld is indeed a lovely spot, although myself I would probably stop in Perth, simply because there is plenty to do in the evening, not least several decent restaurants.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
432 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good mid point between Skye and Edinburgh

I think you should venture further into Skye to experience the rugged landscapes and twists and turns of the wonderful countryside. The ferry from Glenelg is quite something. On the road south my favourite spots are Dunkeld or Blair Atholl.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good mid point between Skye and Edinburgh

We stayed at Dornie which is a very small village just before the bridge ( 15 mins or so by car) over to Skye. From there we ventured to the Isle of Skye and to the top for 1 day out and then drove up around the villages of Wester Ross another day and also came back via Plockton to our accommodation in Dornie.

We stayed at a converted schoolhouse B & B in Dornie,which incidentally is the village right beside the Eilean Donan Castle and on the loch.

This is the review of The schoolhouse B & B

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g1021303-…

I must add that the kitchen is a share kitchen with other people staying there but the owners have their own. We enjoyed the quietness and small Scottish village feel and also the opportunity to go off in all directions from there.

This is our 10 day itinerary in Oct last year.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i23198-Loch_…

We stayed in Aviemore at a B & B after Dornie, but it rained all night. Finished in South Queensferry at a B & B which was not far from the airport.

I also have a Trip Wow of the highlands of our photos along the route we travelled from Edinburgh return for about 10 days. I enjoyed the ruggedness of Scotland and we only had a medium sized rental car a late model Ford Zetec hatchback which suited the two of us. It got us everywhere with no problems even along the some of the very narrow winding roads up in Wester Ross in heavy fog.Mind you we left early in the morning and later on the fog had lifted. We were hoping to get over the high pass down into Applecross in Wester Ross but the fog was so bad that we decided to forego that and continued on up to Torridon, which is also very picturesque,

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00cb-5dec-98e2…

Enjoy Scotland

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good mid point between Skye and Edinburgh

As an aside - "Zetec" is not a model of car, it's one of the silly words that Ford uses to confuse us buyers/hirers and refers to an engine design. [I was looking at cars yesterday and became hopelessly confused by this nonsense. I decided it was easier to keep my old one!]

Acton, MA
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good mid point between Skye and Edinburgh

Many thanks for your input. I enjoyed reading the review of your trip. I hope to visit Australia before too long, too!

Acton, MA
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good mid point between Skye and Edinburgh

Thanks for your and the other replies.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good mid point between Skye and Edinburgh

You're welcome Holly and do come downunder but stay away from Dec, Jan or February...too darned hot! Maybe bushfires and if not heaps of torrential downpours, maybe cyclones and thunder storms!

AND John we enjoyed driving this hatchback so much around Scotland I was determined to buy one when we arrived home, but alas there was only a few around (Zetec) which incidentally are listed up towards the top of the price range here for the hatchbacks. We finally bought another car, but a hatchback also...we needed to downsize to something smaller and I just love it...and not a FORD! Nevertheless it's a sportsback and goes like a beauty!

987654321...long gone!

Reply to: good mid point between Skye and Edinburgh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kyleakin