We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Which Braemar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

We are booked at the Nae Limits Log Cabin near Kirkmichael for Braemar Gathering weekend. I will not have a car, although the people I am travelling with will. Is there any public transportation (bus?) that can get me to Braemar Castle on the Sunday following the gathering so that I can visit the castle? Any advice on other places to see in Braemar that day? Any advice is appreciated!

17 replies to this topic
Crathie
Level Contributor
795 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

AFAIK there is no public bus between Kirkmichael and Braemar. The village is easily negotiated on foot and if you get there early enough you have ample time to attend the gathering and visit the castle on the same day. In fact the car park for the gathering is quite close to the castle, so you could visit that first then walk to The Princess Royal and Duke of Fife Memorial Park, or catch the free shuttle bus.

Further information about Braemar can be found here

http://www.braemarscotland.co.uk/index.htm

Edited: 12 May 2013, 20:55
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Thanks. Might there be taxi service between the two? The family and friends that I am travelling with will probably be hiking on Sunday, so I am looking for something to do on my own that day. Appreciate the link. I think I'd found it at some point in my research, so I am glad to be reminded of it. I will be exploring it more thoroughly, now that my visit is set.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

I you ask at the Kirkmichael Hotel / STrathardle Inn or nearby someone might be able to arrange transport, be that taxi or other ... but there is no direct route by bus - you'd have to go via Dundee and Aberdeen to get to Braemar by bus!

"Things to do near Kirkmichael": welcometoscotland.com/things-to-do/…

You can get a bus up Glenshee as far as the Spittal and Dalmunzie: the-glens.org.uk/images/…2071.pdf

Crathie
Level Contributor
795 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Unless the situation has changed, there is no official taxi company in Braemar who can help you. As for a taxi company based in Kirkmichael, well I have done a Google search without success and cannot find details of one.

Perhaps you should contact the folk at Nae Limits who are likely to be better placed than me to know if there is anyone who can assist you. They might also be able to suggest something else for you to do other than visiting Braemar to see the castle. Maybe a visit to Pitlochry? It's only a 20 minute drive from Kirkmichael.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Thank you both for trying to help! Yes, I'll check with Nae Limits and see what they recommend. I'll check the links in your posts as well. Thanks again!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Looks like you need to wrestle your friends to the ground and raid their car keys!

Maybe you can drop them off for their hike, go to Braemar, and they can use local transport to get back to base? Depends what their plans are ...

(It's possible to add a second driver when hiring the car)

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

I've been looking at the hotel website more closely - I think we'll be able to work something out on the day that doesn't involve me grabbing their keys - especially as I've never driven on the left side of the road! Thanks, all, for the help and advice!

Braemar, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Hello from Braemar Castle. Delighted you want to visit. We will be open on Sunday 8th September from 10am to 4 pm BUT we're not open on the day of the Braemar Games - too much traffic, shortage of car-parking and volunteers tied up helping with the Gathering. However we will be open on Friday 6th - maybe that's an easier day for you? A new bus service is to be running twice a day across the summer from Braemar to Blairgowrieand and back but unfortuinately it won't run on Sundays - so that's not a lot of help to you if you decide to come on Sunday. Come on Friday and bring your friends!

Crathie
Level Contributor
795 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

>> we're not open on the day of the Braemar Games <<

That's useful to know. I was going on the information available on the website, which as far as I can see makes no mention of this, but it does make sense. So it seems Zoey has either Friday or Sunday to make a visit.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

It'll have to be Sunday - we're not arriving until late afternoon on Friday. I'm sure I'll be able to work something out.

Right now, I'm thinking that perhaps they'll be able to take me to Braemar for church, and then I'll be able to get something to eat and visit the Castle. Any suggestions on a place convenient to eat after church? Is the Castle within walking distance from Braemar Parish Church (Church of Scotland)?

Reply to: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Braemar
Recent Conversations
More Braemar Topics