We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Which Braemar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

We are booked at the Nae Limits Log Cabin near Kirkmichael for Braemar Gathering weekend. I will not have a car, although the people I am travelling with will. Is there any public transportation (bus?) that can get me to Braemar Castle on the Sunday following the gathering so that I can visit the castle? Any advice on other places to see in Braemar that day? Any advice is appreciated!

17 replies to this topic
Crathie
Level Contributor
803 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Unless you are a person with walking difficulties, Braemar is a place easily negotiated on foot. The castle is just outside the village proper, but if you have a look on Google street view this will give you an idea of what to expect on the walk. The castle is about a 20 minute walk from the centre of the village.

I was going to suggest Taste as a place to have lunch, but I see from their website they are closed on Sundays :-( However there are enough places in Braemar which can provide you with a sit down meal at lunch time and I am sure you will not go hungry.

braemarscotland.co.uk/visiting_braemar/food_…

Braemar, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Yes to both questions. There are a number of places to eat in the village nearby the church. Closest are the Old Bakery , Gordon's Restaurant and the Fife Arms. There is also Taste a couple of minutes away and the Invercauld Arms.

The Castle is about a quarter of a mile from the village, pavement all the way. Stop off at the graveyard and visit the grave of the longest survigning Jacobite, Peter Grant, the auld Dubrach and then come and see us at the Castle.

(And - I will add the Games day info to the website, thanks for pointing out it's not there)

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Thank you to all who helped with this thread! My traveling companions took me to Braemar before returning to Glen Shee for some hiking, and then picked me up again for the trip back to Edinburgh. My daughter bagged her 3rd and 4th Munros with this trip!

They dropped me off in Braemar, where I attended church, had lunch at the Old Bakery, and walked out to the Braemar Castle. I very much enjoyed the day; the Castle tour guide, one of the students from Germany, was excellent. I also heard a bit of the walking tour, Crazy About Muir, led by an interpreter portraying the naturalist John Muir; I wished I had time to take that tour, as well! And I wished I had more time to poke around the shops in the town.

I loved the Braemar Gathering; I'm very appreciative of the time and effort that's dedicated to the Gathering.

Thank you all!

Crathie
Level Contributor
803 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Thanks for letting us know how you got on. Pleased you enjoyed the day.

Haste ye back! :-)

Braemar, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Delighted you enjoyed your visit. Do spread the word for us.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

Braemar forum has been reset to empty!

Testing whether I can reply to thread on 'old forum'

Edited: 30 October 2013, 22:07
Braemar, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael

I don't know, but it looks as though it is possible.

Reply to: Getting to Braemar Castle from Kirkmichael
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Braemar
Recent Conversations
More Braemar Topics