We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth visiting?

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Worth visiting?

As children my parents took us to Rothesay every few months and we all remember having fab times. Now they will be 90 and we thought of taking them back for a few day, However, I've read a few reviews today, which says the town centre is an eye sore and it's not safe to go out at night owing to drug addicts etc.

Would hate to take them some where horrid and so would prefer maybe to take them to Oban or Fort William. Just thought it would be a wee trip down memory lane for us all.

Can anyone give me any information as to the place?

10 replies to this topic
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth visiting?

I wasn't aware Rothesay had that reputation but I'll take your word for it. It's a few years since I've been there myself. And there are options away from the town such as Mount Stewart, Kilchattan - or Ettrick Bay, if they're up for something more countrified.

There are other 'doon the watter' possibilities such as a trip to Millport. That might be simpler. Or Arran?

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth visiting?

Thanks for replying, Derek! Sometimes it's hard to know if reviewers have an agenda.

To the trip: They live in the back of beyond as it is, so wanted a wee bit of biz for them. Also, at 90 they need flat ground and plenty summer seats to flop down on. lol

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth visiting?

Must say on the whole I thought Rothesay was disappointing the town could be made in a wonderful picture postcard location but it's just to dirty I know times are hard and money is tight but the bars just all look shabby and in need of a makeover non of them look inviting and all of them need something to intise people to come in having said that the people were friendly and Harry haws restaurant was out if this world our stay at the Glendale guest house was very nice but the town needs some investment and a spruce up

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth visiting?

Just had a day trip to Rothesay and I have to agree the place was very disappointing. Dirty, crumbling...even the tourist information centre! Nice flower beds on the front but nothing to do or see of any interest. Would not recommend

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth visiting?

We visited Rothesay for the first time in July and I must say the seafront near the pier is VERY shabby in spite of some beautiful garden areas on the seafront. The interior of the island and the areas away from the ferry terminal are, however, delightful.

Woody x

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,983 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth visiting?

No-one mentions if they went to the main attractions.... Mount Stewart, and the gents toilets!

No visit to Rothesay is complete without visiting the Victorian plumbing!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth visiting?

Thought we were talking about Rothesay the town...Mount Stewart is not IN Rothesay itself. Having said that, Rothesay Castle looked pretty impressive from the outside, it's just the sea front which everyone is greeted with when coming off the ferry which is a bit rundown. We had an excellent meal, two actually, at Number 29, which I highly recommend.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g551924-…

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,983 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth visiting?

The Victorian toilets are in the centre of town, and are not shabby or dirty. They are works of art.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth visiting?

Yes we missed them unfortunately!

Glasgow, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth visiting?

Was at Rothesay for the day on Sunday, found it disappointing that there are so many empty shops. Also wondered why people with kids would go for any longer than a day. Its a shame as it could be a lovely place to take the family for people with little money.

The council should really be doing more to encourage families on a budget to go to the island, an adventure play area, a maze and indoor soft play areas for example.

With the ferry being inexpensive and a great adventure for kids its a shame that there isnt more for families.

Reply to: Worth visiting?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rothesay
Recent Conversations
More Rothesay Topics