We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation

Ireland
Level Contributor
316 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation

Hi all,

I am looking for some help with booking accommodation in the Lough Lomond area. We will be driving around Scotland for 10 nights in August. I need to sort out accommodation but I have a very tight budget. I have spent a lot of time looking for what area to stay in and what hotels but I am finding it hard to stick to my tight budget. I have searched numerous websites searching under 'Lough Lomond' and Drymen, Alexandria, Balloch etc. I have narrowed it down to the following 3 hotels and area to use as a base and explore very day.

- Holiday Inn Express, Greenock.

- Etap hotel, Glasgow,

- Beardmore Hotel, near Clydebank

Would any of the above hotels be a good base to return to every night after exploring the Lough Lomond & National park area? I am aware the Etap hotel is almost city centre of Glasgow. Any suggestions / tips what I should be doing to find a good standard hotel with a competitive price in peak season. We have driven around Italy and Canada previously in Aug and did not pre book accommodation and found it as we went along and got good rates. Would I be better off doing this on this trip?

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation

Are you open to B&B's?

I'm amazed that you are having trouble finding places.

Go to www.googlemap.com

then type hotels in Drymen, UK

or Callander, etc.....

each of those dozens of dots are a hotel. Mouseover the dot or click on it, you'll get more info.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation

What about the Commodore Hotel (Travellodge) in Helensburgh (20 minutes drive from Balloch)? It has rooms available during August for approx £55 per night.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation

A while back we stayed in Ballach in the Inneepers Lodge which was cheap and very acceptable. Lovely location and good base for touring.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation

Greenock is not a suitable location for visiting Loch Lomond.

I would not recommend the Etap as a touring base,it is pretty basic and not in a great area.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation

There are literally thousands of hotels and bed and breakfast establishments in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs area.

The hotels you have listed are not handy and not a good choice. There is a fairly new Premier Inn in Dumbarton, which is just a five minute drive along the A82 to Loch Lomond. This would be a suitable base.

premierinn.com/en/…loch-lomond

I live in the area so feel free to ask.

Ireland
Level Contributor
316 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation

Thanks for all replies, believe me I have spent hours online looking for accommodation in my budget, and yes there are thousands of accommodations but its the standard and the price that I am struggling to find. I don't want to stay in a B+B, hostel or over a pub. The Inn Keeper is not available for the 3 nights I am looking for, the Premier Inn is £220 / €275 room only and the Travelodge is £180 / €225 room only so the best price seems to be The Beardmore hotel near Clydebank which is €242 including breakfast.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation

Are you there at the time of the Edinburgh Festival? Otherwise I can't imagine why prices are so high.

Many B&Bs offer top quality accomodation so I wouldn't dismiss them all.

8. Re: Accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 July 2012, 08:40
Edited: 03 July 2012, 08:40
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,554 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation

The Achray House Hotel is in the Loch Lomond National Park

http://www.achrayhouse.com/home_tariff.html

and is only £55 a night bed and breakfast.

We've stayed here and the views, food etc are lovely

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation

I live here and I can tell you that while the Beardmore is a good hotel it is not an ideal base for touring LL and the Trossachs. I would be spending the extra few euros to get a more suitable location.

Have you tried ...

http://www.oak-tree-inn.co.uk/tariff/

laterooms.com/en/p5584/hotel-reservations/85…

travelodge.co.uk/hotels/462/Helensburgh-Seaf…

"Are you there at the time of the Edinburgh Festival?"

The Edinburgh festival does not affect accommodation rates here. It is just that August is the peak holiday season.

Get answers to your questions about Loch Lomond and The...