We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balloch for New Year

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Balloch for New Year

My husband and I are looking for somewhere relaxing to go for a weekend break over the new year weekend. Would Balloch be a suitable destination?

Although we'd like it to be peaceful, we'd like a couple of pubs/restaurants within walking distance.

Thanks,

Paula

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balloch for New Year

Hi Paula,

With it falling on the weekend this year Balloch will be quite lively on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday Evenings. On NY eve (Hogmanay) some of the local hostelries organise party nights but these often have to booked in advance. If you are interested I will find out what's on this year.

Balloch, like the rest of Scotland will be dead on New Year's day. The local Indian and Chinese restaurants may be open but most of the pubs will be closed. You may find that a couple of the local hotel bars will remain open.

The proximity of local pubs and restaurant is obviously dependent on where you are staying but most B&Bs and hotels in the village are centrally situated. All of the bars and restaurants are walkable within ten minutes from these.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Balloch for New Year

Hi, Thank you for your reply. It was really helpful, but we've actually now decided to visit Scotland in February instead. Will it be too quite to visit Balloch for a couple of days? Are there any other places around Loch Lomond that would be still quite lively in February with some bar and restaurants open? We plan to visit Edinburgh and Glasgow as well, but would like somewhere quieter to stay for a night or two (but somewhere that is not completely closed.) We will be travelling by train so we need to find somewhere with atrain station.

Many thanks,

Paula

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balloch for New Year

Balloch will be ideal for you in Feb. There are numerous bars and restaurants available and I can advise on accommodation if required.

We also have a half hourly service from Balloch to Glasgow by electric train. The journey takes 47 minutes and it is a very reliable and efficient service. Trains leave Balloch to Glasgow Queen street station at 23 and 53 minutes past the hour. Queen Street is right in the centre of the city.

Return trains from Queen Street to Balloch are at the same time (23/53) and the last train is at 23.23. This means that you can have a full day in Glasgow while staying in Balloch.

You can also use thetrain from Balloch to Queen Street and on to Edinburgh. There is a thirty minute service from Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh so it is all quite convenient, My wife and I did this trip in July this year and it is an OK journey.

Feel free to ask any questions about Balloch/Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balloch for New Year

How did it go?

5. Re: Balloch for New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Balloch
Recent Conversations
More Balloch Topics