We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base for a week - Luss, Balloch or Balmaha? No car.

scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Base for a week - Luss, Balloch or Balmaha? No car.

Title says it all really. I'm planning a family trip to the Loch Lomond area in mid-October and having trouble figuring out the best location to base ourselves.

We wont have a car but are happy to take taxis or use public transport where available. At some point in the week I have to go to Dumbarton for a work meeting so I'm narrowing down the choice to places within a reasonable distance of Balloch (where I'll get the train) - hence Luss, Balloch and Balmaha. But have I missed anywhere else that might be good? I'd really consider anywhere scenic with good local walks as long as I can get to Dumbarton by public transport in no more than two hours.

Any advice on the best location would be much appreciated - we'll be spending most days doing easy-ish walks/hikes, exploring the area (two adults, two kids). I'm also having some trouble tracking down public transport info for 'winter' services - can find loads of info on summer services only!

Any advice much much appreciated.

Luss Pier
Piers & Boardwalks, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Luss Parish Church
Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals
scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Base for a week - Luss, Balloch or Balmaha? No car.

Wow - thanks all of you for your replies and the research you've done on my behalf, I really appreciate it. I've now 'wandered' around both Luss and Balloch using streetview and I'm torn! They both look great. Will agonise further and let you know the verdict - either way we'll be visiting both Balloch and Luss so all your comments (and reminiscences!) are really useful. Thanks again.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Base for a week - Luss, Balloch or Balmaha? No car.

Alex, If that happened now you would find yourself waking up in Yoker Depot!

Edited: 10 August 2010, 08:16
13. Re: Base for a week - Luss, Balloch or Balmaha? No car.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2011, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Luss
Recent Conversations
More Luss Topics