We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

climbing ben lomond in february

Which Rowardennan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
climbing ben lomond in february

Hi any tips or advice of easiest way up and down? Also baby ideas about how long it will take? Many thanks

9 replies to this topic
Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: climbing ben lomond in february

Hi

Try this site for advice and reports

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/munros/ben-lomond

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: climbing ben lomond in february

The small print says 'at your own risk'. What it doesn't say is February is winter, there will be significant snow and ice on the Ben. But it does on the next page (link) describing the route from Rowardennan.

If you are asking about the easiest way up on TA this suggests maybe you are not an experienced hillwaker.

Most people won't venture onto big Scottish hills at this time of year without at least an ice axe, maybe crampons - and experience in using them. And probably a companion.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: climbing ben lomond in february

YOUR OPINIONS ARE WHAT I THOUGHT. ANY IDEAS OF SCENIC Walks in the area I'm hoping to get some good pictures?

Thanks for advice

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: climbing ben lomond in february

The south end of Loch Lomond has a scattering of small islands and if the weather's good, there are views across the south end of the loch loch from East, West and South.

If you get a perfectly still afternoon, there are spectacular views across the Loch from anywhere between Balloch to Luss on the W shore, towards Ben Lomond. Lots of opportunity for composition. But if the weather's good take advantage of the morning, because sometimes lochs can be a mirror until the wind gets up a bit later in the day. Big if, I know ...

If the snow line is anthying abouve a few hundred feet, you can improve those views either by ascending the paths around Rowardennan, or by climbing Duncryne Hill near Gartocharn.

Other places with good views without having to climb all of a mountain?

Travel up the loch to Tarbet and head west to Arrochar. Good views from above the village westwards - the arrochar alps are a group of mountains mch favoured by Scots walkers - The Cobbler has a spectacular top. Because much lower you might be able to walk part of this route and get undermeath the cobbler's main corrie before hitting major snow.

Carry on down the A83 towards Inveraray further for views down some south or south-west facing sea lochs. Loch Long, Loch Goyle, Loch Fyne.

Alternatively take the road Eastwards, through Drymen, heading to Aberfoyle. Chances are you'll be able to drive all the roads and walk forest tracks and ascend a hill or two round there. Lochs Venachar and Achray, the Lake of Menteith, and there is the road penetrating Westwards to Lochs Katrine and Arklet; the road skirts the back of Ben Lomond, and even drops down to Ben Lomond's Lochside at Inversnaid.

There are photo opportunities at Tyndrum, Rannoch Moor, Glencoe if you head north.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: climbing ben lomond in february

great thanks for your help

Juliet

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: climbing ben lomond in february

Don't know if you've been yet Juliet but as Derek G says, Duncryne Hill (AKA the "Dumpling") offers wonderful views over Loch Lomond. The only problem is that the track up to the top is extremely muddy right now, I would not attempt it without wellies.

There are some great walks on tarmac on the minor roads and tracks above Balloch. One of these is the old Bourich road, which offers spectacular views over the Loch and Islands.

In Balloch enter Balloch Country Park via the gates opposite the bus terminus. Walk up the main path inthe park until you get near the top where you will see Balloch Castle ahead. (Apart from a toilet this is closed to the public.) You will see a path that leads off to the right just before the castle at a Y junction (this is effectively the first right turn after entering the park). Follow this path briefly then take the first right towards the North Lodge exit gate. As you exit the park turn left up the hill and past the children's hospice. There is virtually no traffic on this road.

If you follow it straight up the hill for about a further two miles you will come to the top and its beautiful views over Loch Lomond and the islands from a point that is known as "Mount Misery". Don't forget you camera!

At this point the road veers off to the right away from Loch Lomond but it's just woodland and farmland so not worth going much further. You can then turn and return in the direction you came. Balloch has a few pubs and restaurants if you want to stop for food and drinks on the way back.

Edited: 13 February 2013, 15:43
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: climbing ben lomond in february

Brilliant your timing is perfect we go this weekend

Thanks

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: climbing ben lomond in february

Derek I completely agree, at least 3 people have died on Ben Lomond in the last 3 months (one last week) and as climbing hills in Scotland I consider it a very easy one.

Scotland in Winter is for experienced people only I am afraid to say at anything above 2000 feet. I passed it yesterday after climbing tow Munro's to the North of it and still plenty of snow above 700 m.

There are other hills nearby you can try like Ben A'an it is 454m slightly less than half the height of Ben Lomond but has magnificent views. Try Ben Lomond in summer on a good day if you can map read well and take some just in case kit, it is the only way to get experience of course, but Winter requires skills and experience as Derek out.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,279 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: climbing ben lomond in february

Better three years late than never, I suppose ...

Reply to: climbing ben lomond in february
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rowardennan