We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stranraer scotland

Sousse, Tunisia
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
stranraer scotland

hubby and i and dog coming up to kirkolm..stranraer in july...would appreciate anything you can tell me on the area...also 2nd week we moving to a cottage in whithorn...also any info appreciated...thank you..m holland

9 replies to this topic
cambs
Level Contributor
537 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stranraer scotland

HAvent been to Stranraer for ages I'm afraid

Are you new to the area?

What you will like about it are the great coastal drives along roads that really do hug the coast.

I'd recommend you drive up the west coast at lest as far as Girvan

- and then head a little further north to pass thru Turnberry - great view of the hotel overlooking the golf course - and on to the little harbour town of Maidens - where stop for a great fixed price lunch in Wildings - its great!

A little further north is Culzean Castle

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stranraer scotland

Lots to see and do in both the Rhins (around Stranraer) and the Machars (around Whithorn).

Logan Botanical Gardens (part of the Royal Botanical Gardens of Edinburgh) are near Port Logan, south of Stranraer, and are a wonderful place to visit, to marvel at the exotic species growing in this small corner of Scotland (Palm Trees!). Also, Scotland's most southerly point, the Mull of Galloway is a long drive, on a narrow road, but spectacular views make it very worthwhile, and there's even a cafe to relax in once you're there. The area plays host to many golf clubs, including Stranraer Golf club, an 18 hole parkland course designed by James Braid which can prove a challenge to the best of golfers due to it's location right next to Loch Ryan (you will pass Stranraer Golf Club on the way to Kirkcolm). Portpatrick is a must-visit village, which has a stunning harbour with many pubs and restaurants overlooking the picturesque Irish Sea (and even across to Ireland on a clear day). As a ferry port, it should also be mentioned that you can take a day trip to Belfast and Northern Ireland from Stranraer with Stena, or Cairnryan with P&O.

Whithorn is the 'Cradle of Christianity', has a fabulous archaelogical dig site and Priory which is well worth a visit. There are lots of walks around the area, for example to St Ninian's cave close to Whithorn (and Isle of Whithorn - well worth a visit!) and also Dumfries and Galloway's highest mountain, the Merrick which is near Glentrool, beyond Newton Stewart. Bring your bikes (or you can hire them) as Kirroughtree Forest, part of Britain's largest forest park, Galloway Forest Park, has some fabulous rides from the visitor centre at Palnure, near Newton Stewart. Galloway Forest Park has some of the best dark skies in Europe - ideal for star gazing! Wigtown, Scotland's National Book Town, is also a short drive from Whithorn and has many bookshops, cafe's and art shops. Here there are also many walks, including one to the 'Martyrs Stake' where you can see the monument erected to two women who were drowned for betrayal.

Just beyond Newton Stewart is Creetown, where you can find more walking trails and a 'Gem Rock Museum'.

I hope this has been of some help, and that's certainly not all the area has to offer! Enjoy your holiday!

Sousse, Tunisia
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stranraer scotland

thank you...interested in the drive down mull galloway...are there any supermarkets local....we bring most stuff up but second week we may need top up...either in stranraer or whithorn...hope weather stays like this...have discovered the treasure trails on here...so will get cuple of those....think there a market on the sunday we in whithorn....a farmers market or something like....area looks so lovely...thank you..m xx

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stranraer scotland

Hi again

Stranraer has three supermarkets, Lidl, Morrisons and Tesco Metro as well as local shops in most villages. Also, Newton Stewart has Sainsbury's, Co-Op and Aldi, so actually plenty to choose from! There are farmers markets springing up over the area too, Portpatrick and Stoneykirk in the Rhins and Whithorn and Wigtowns (as far as I know) in the Machars.

Enjoy!

(Oh, and if you can, do sample some 'Cream o Galloway' ice cream, which is made at Gatehouse of Fleet - it's delicious!!)

Sousse, Tunisia
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stranraer scotland

thanx so much...appreciated...80 days and counting....we so love scotland...looking forward to it...if i think of anything else i will post....take care marion h xxx

Lochwinnoch, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: stranraer scotland

my father in law and his parents were born in straweave wigtonshire but can find no information to tell if this was a place or a maternity hospital any help appreceiated buchananian5@aol.com

Prestwick, Scotland
Level Contributor
92 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stranraer scotland

A wee trip and tour round Bladnoch Distillery is also worth a visit if you are around Wigtown

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stranraer scotland

OP was visiting 2 years ago ;-)

Prestwick, Scotland
Level Contributor
92 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply