We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it really recommended to go to Memphis during the Memphis

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is it really recommended to go to Memphis during the Memphis

in May B-B-Q week? Would it so crowded that it won't be enjoyable? I am only coming to eat at some restaurants and go to Graceland. I am not coming for the contests. I am staying at the Peabody. Will it be so much traffic that it will be frustrating?? I can come another week. Also, where are the best desserts and maybe your top 3 B-B-Q favorite restaurants? I would like to go to Newby's bar and grill--have you been there and do you recommend?? Thanks, Rhonda

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it really recommended to go to Memphis during the Memphis

Search this forum for other in depth posts about BBQ, we've talked about it a million times before.

I would suggest not coming here in May if you are not going to any of the MIM festivities. Especially Musicfest and BBQFest weekends.

Newby's? Why? It's just a hole in the wall bar by the university, cheap, and they have local bands play on the weekends. There's no reason to go there that I can think of. I've been there before, it was extremely uncrowded on saturdays, and it was dirty as sin.

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it really recommended to go to Memphis during the Memphis

Because my last name is Newby

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it really recommended to go to Memphis during the Memphis

Oh...haha. Well...if you want, but it's a dark hole in the wall, a bit dirty for my tastes. Especially the area where the stage is. It's near campus so it's a lot of young college kids. There are a couple bars nearby, Gill's Sports Bar, which is a true sports place, a goth club, and then there used to be a big billards bar but I believe it closed. That area has sort of lost its luster as of late, I guess students just go elsewhere nowadays.

Traffic downtown will be horrendous during the festivals. Parking will be a nightmare. The Peabody would be a bit better due to their huge valet staff and valet area, but still, it will be bad. BBQ Fest at least brings a more older drunken crowd, compared to Musicfest, which is younger and louder. (IMO)

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it really recommended to go to Memphis during the Memphis

Oh My Goodness!! Chris Daughtery is going to be playing at Newby's in Memphis on April 17th!! I would love to see him. He is from American Idol and has a song in the top 10 on the billboard charts. He is so popular right now. I wish I were going to see him!! That would be great!!

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it really recommended to go to Memphis during the Memphis

Oh My Goodness!! Chris Daughtery is going to be playing at Newby's in Memphis on April 17th!! I would love to see him. He is from American Idol and has a song in the top 10 on the billboard charts. He is so popular right now. I wish I were going to see him!! That would be great!!

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it really recommended to go to Memphis during the Memphis

He is, it sold out immediately. He is also playing at Musicfest this year.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it really recommended to go to Memphis during the Memphis

I thought this place was not worth a visit?

pbz
Chicago
Level Contributor
436 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it really recommended to go to Memphis during the Memphis

Awesome, a trip during the second most crowded time of the year and spending a bunch of time to see a record industry manufactured pop star. I guess we have to give an award for most creative way to structure a trip to Memphis.

Seriously, everyone should go to Memphis in May. There is no reason to go in April, the weather is completely unremarkable, and the city will be so empty it will be almost boring. Yes, leave April for the clueless, and just think about all the Bar-B-Q you'll get to enjoy during the Bar-B-Q contest in May...

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it really recommended to go to Memphis during the Memphis

Honestly, you can't eat the food at BBQ Fest. You can smell it, and buy some food from the restaurant vendors, but you can't eat what is being cooked in the main competitions. So unless you just really, really want to walk around and see the booths and mingle with the other people walking around, there isn't much of a point to go.

If you are already booked for that weekend, might as well come though. However, I am wondering if you will be paying WAY more for your room than you normally would. Might be worth calling the Peabody and just asking them if your room rate is higher than typical at the hotel for the same nights, because of BBQ Fest. If you call the hotel direct, I'm sure they will be honest with you. It could be worth saving a few hundred $$ by going a different weekend.

IMO, if I was coming to Memphis to relax, see the city, Graceland, etc, I'd pick another weekend/month. But if you already have it booked, seems like it would be a headache to try and change plans this late. I think it's your call, but if you want nothing to do with BBQ Fest, you might want to come the following weekend.

p.s. I heard there was a shooting at Newby's the other week. don't know the validity of it, just heard it from someone at work, but just an FYI. That area has gone downhill. not that it is overly dangerous, but it's just not the "hang out" area for the college kids that it used to be. I'd go there at night, and I do sometimes to visit Gill's sports bar, but it's not hopping anymore like it once was.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it really recommended to go to Memphis during the Memphis

here you go, pearlbob

Police beef up security at popular college hang-out

March 19, 2007 12:34 PM CDT

Memphis police are watching one popular Friday night hot spot closely after a shooting at the club.

Newby's is one of the most popular bars for University of Memphis students and alumni.

Police are keeping a closer watch with no arrests in a possible gang related shooting right outside the club.

The club is s a staple among Tiger fans young and old.

"It's a good college hangout, a good place for kids to come and hangout," says UofM student Keyia Burnett.

On February 28th a shooting happened right outside, damaging the club's front window and an SUV parked out on the street.

According to the police report, security kicked out some people for starting a fight inside and workers overheard threats being made.

"The security guards did indicate that they heard something that did resemble some type of gang name," says Monique Martin with Memphis Police Department.

Hours later, someone opened fire outside Newby's- no one was hurt- and more than two weeks later no one has been arrested.

Burnett adds, "does concern me though the crime in Memphis not just generally in this area has become an issue and that is something we need to take care of.

No one from Newby's would talk on camera.

They say they've beefed up security inside and police say the same.

"We have been monitoring areas around that strip a little bit closer with our blue crush initiaitive," says Martin.

Gang related or not, security insists the area is safe for students, alums and anyone of age who wants to stop by.