We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back

Hi

We've just got back from a great visit to Memphis planned with the invaluble help on this forum. So I just thought I'd give a quick run down on what we did, incase it might be useful to anyone else, I'll try to be brief.

Day 1.

Lunch; Cafe 61... Very good, nice staff, food excellent.

Gibson Factory Tour... Good tour very interesting especially to guitar players. My son plays, and they gave him a lead in the shop, he spent a good hour having a go on the display guitars.

Dinner; Automatic Slims... Slightly more pricey,but worth it . Brilliant food, really nice helpful staff.

Had a walk up Beale St afterwards.

Day 2.

A.M: Mud Island... Quite good, maybe better for people with small children, they can paddle in the model of the river.

P.M: Backbeat Tours, Mojo Tour... Fantastic. We had Memphis John, he played the guitar, sang songs, and told stories, extremely entertaining.

Saw the ducks at The Peabody... You just have to, don't you?

Dinner; Rum Boogie Cafe... Food O.K. I think we perhaps chose the wrong thing for us, a mixed platter of ribs, soup,fish etc, not quite to our taste but O.K. We saw Elmo and the Shades, a really good band.

Day 3.

A.M. Rock and Soul Museum... Good self guided tour. About 2hrs

P.M. Riverboat Cruise... Very pleasant ride. Couldn't hear the commentary very well, but when we mentioned it the guy turned the speaker around, and it was fine then.

Dinner; Hueys... The food was good, the best part though was The Dempseys, they were amazing!

Day 4.

Graceland... Got the shuttle from the Rock and Soul Museum. Really well organized place, we didn't feel it was crowded, even though there were a lot there. you can pretty much go around at your own pace. Spent most of the day there. One thing we didn't realize was that, when you take the shuttle back you have to get off at Sun Studio for 1 hour (fair enough, it is run by Sun, so they do want people to go there). We were tired and didn't want to go around Sun that day, so we walked back to Downtown. Took about 15 minutes.

Dinner... Cafe 61. Good value food.

Day 5.

Zoo... Got a taxi. Cost $50, round trip.Good zoo, got crowded in the afternoon. We liked the polar bears best.

Dinner... Cafe 61.. AGAIN. As I said, it is good food at a good price.

We went to see a baseball game in the evening. Never been before. We had the cheapest seats, as we were told it didn't make much difference. But we found that we were a long way from the action, and also near a lot of rowdy kids who weren't interested in watching at all. We decided to leave half way through. But as we got near the exit we had a much better view, so we sat in some empty seats, and stayed another hour.

Day 5.

A.M. Sun Studio... Good tour, though shorter than I expected.

Lunch. Arcade... Good atmosphere, like being back in the 60's

P.M. Civil Rights Museum... Interesting. Made you really think.

Dinner; E.P Delta Kitchen... Food was good here, but it was too cold in there, we had to put jumpers on!!

Day 6.

Pink Palace... Got a taxi $50 dollars, round trip. Interesting place.

Back to Downtown, had a nice cakes in Blues City Pastry Shop on Main St. Good coffee too.

Dinner; Blues City Cafe... O.K. Maybe better when there's a band on.

We went to the Gibson Lounge afterwards and Leroy Parnell. Really good, like watching live music in your own home!

Day 7.

Stax... Taxi $30 round trip. Another interesting place, showd another side, other than Elvis.

Lunch. Gus's Fried Chicken... Really good chicken, fantastic value!

Dinner... Cafe 61, as you can see we really liked this place, everything we ate was good.

We had a lovely time in Memphis. Originally we planned to go for 2 weeks, but changed our plans on various peoples recommenations. We found plenty to do to fill our time, and I think there would be enough for 2 weeks, if you have a car. We chose not to get one. We decided we might be dangerous!! As we were unfamilar with American road layouts etc. So we used the money for taxis. I think we probably exhausted all the things we could in Memphis. We rode the trolley which was nice. We went to W.C Handy Park, and watched the bands there. We walked up Beale St in the evenings, and watched some of the performers there. We never felt unsafe, or had any problems, although we were usually back in our hotel by 11.00p.m.

I think there are parts of Memphis that would benefit from a cash injection, but then again that may spoil the charm of the place.

If you want a different kind of holiday I'd recommend it, we loved it.

Thanks Pearlbob and friends for your help.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back

You have two Day 5's! :) Maybe I read it wrong.

I think you ate at Cafe 61 4x more than I have my entire life. It is a nice place though, I'm partial to Automatic Slim's next door however. So glad you had a good time!!!

Level Contributor
257 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back

Sounds like you had a great trip. I think you exhausted most everything in Memphis, but you can expand your trip if you have a car into the Mississippi Delta, Tupelo (birthplace of Elvis), and Oxford. I could spend four or five days doing just that. I like Cafe 61 as well. I would not recommend anyone eat on Beale Street as it is more of a bar place. The move to serve food started a couple of years ago, but the food is very tourist oriented. I have heard good things about Kings Palace and the Superior Bar, though. I've never been impressed with Blues City Cafe.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back

Oh yes , we do have 2 Day 5s, lol, sorry folks don't know how that happened, should have read it through afterwards. I guess we were there 8 days not 7 (put down to jet lag!!).

Get answers to your questions about Memphis