We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Developments around Graceland

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York, England
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Developments around Graceland

Hiya guys, Has anyone heard any more about the developments around Graceland. They are supposed to be building a visitors centre (moving it from EP Boulevard) etc. All Elvisy stuff to do with EPE, would be interesting to know when they are going to crack on with it

Lorna :o)

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Developments around Graceland

Hi, Lorna! The last thing I heard about development plans around Graceland was that it would require using city funds, and I seriously doubt that Memphis has enough expendable funds to use for tourist developments. I wouldn't count on anything in the foreseable future.

York, England
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Developments around Graceland

Oh wow, I thought it was all to do with the company that had bought into EPE. I cant remember their name but they own American Idol too as far as I know.

It would be great if they could do something more around that area. It would create loads more jobs and may even make it a safer place.

Fingers crossed!

Lorna :o)

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Developments around Graceland

I'm in Memphis and as far as I know, all this new development at Graceland is privately funded. They have been quietly buying up land all around the mansion. They are supposed to move the visitor's center to the same side of the street as the mansion as well as make other improvements.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Developments around Graceland

Deb - I read an article several months ago (I haven't found it recently) that said the group that had been buying land around Graceland had sold it. If I get some extra time I'll try to relocate the information.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Developments around Graceland

Let me add that I'm not talking about anything that's being done with Graceland or the property it owns, or moving any of its property, I'm ONLY talking about the development in the general area by someone else.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Developments around Graceland

Hope this link works...if not I'll try and paste the whole article here.

www.elvis.com/news/full_story.asp?id=1260

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Developments around Graceland

Well, the article you gave the link to says they have bought up about 100 acres in the area. I did not read the whole thing, but the immpression I got was that the owners of Graceland are fixing it up and the city is working on the rest of the Whitehaven area. In fact, there was an article in the local paper in the past week or so that stated that a bunch of businesses on Brooks Road (just a couple of miles away from Graceland) are getting together to clean up that area.

All this said, I don't really follow all the Elvis stuff too closely because I'm not particularly a fan. I have read more of the stuff about the general efforts to revitalize the area, which Wal Mart started a few years ago by building a store on a spot that had been vacant for years just down E P Blvd. from Graceland.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Developments around Graceland

Deb :) If you'll read the article, it says that the development relies on local funding.

England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Developments around Graceland

When we stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel last May, we were told that they planned to build a bigger and better hotel to the rear of where the present hotel stands.

Eileen

10. Re: Developments around Graceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 07:16