We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis shopping

Central illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Memphis shopping

We have shopped the Peabody mall and are looking for additional shopping. Teens will be along for the trip, so clothing shops are a must. We enjoy specialty shops, especially local artists. We are in town Mon-Wed in late May. Tried the Arts district last year, but many shops not open during the week. I have read about Overton Square and Cooper-Young district. What kind of shopping can we expect there? Also, cab fare from Comfort Inn Downtown?

Thanks

TJ

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memphis shopping

The Peabody "mall" is almost empty now, so good thing you're looking for something else. The stores couldn't make it there, I guess no one went.

Try the South Main Arts District downtown; they have lots of art galleries and some specialty clothing and gift shops (mainly expensive). There are a lot more stores now than there were last year, it's grown a lot in the past year.

Overton doesn't have any shopping. Honestly...none; there used to be a couple gift stores, but I think all of them are gone now.

Cooper Young has a few stores, like used clothing and maybe a place with new clothings. It's an artsy/hippie type area. Mainly restaurants and bars, not really shopping.

There are high-end speciality stores scattered throughtout eastern Memphis, but in no particular area. The largest and newest (and nicest) mall is about 30 miles away in Collierville. That is where I go now when I have to do the mall thing.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memphis shopping

The Wolfchase mall is the biggest one in Memphis I'm sure you'll all find a shop or two there, It's easy to find too.

Arkadelphia...
Level Contributor
11 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memphis shopping

Wolfchase mall is pretty much the last decent mall around. Its got all your teen clothing stores (name brands), so no specialty shops.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memphis shopping

No way, Avenue is 10x better and classier than Wolfchase. Wolfchase has gone downhill since Avenue opened. It offers a lot more stores and a much better environment.

Central illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Memphis shopping

Sorry to hear about the Peabody. Wolfchase and Avenue Carriage Crossing look to be 21 and 30 miles away. We will not have a car. Transportation suggestions and cost? Could we make a day of the zoo and then to Cooper-Young district for dinner and shopping? How late are shops open in that area? Their web-site has not responded to e-mails. Appreciate all of your help and ideas.

TY

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memphis shopping

I think you'd be highly disappointed if you go into Cooper Young for shopping. I live within blocks of it, and I have never once gone into any sort of store...I know there is a used clothing store around there, a drum shop, and I really can't think of anything else. It's an area known for it's bars, and restaurants. It is also not near the zoo. Anything in Cooper Young would close around 5 or 6pm on weekdays.

Overton Square is near the zoo, but still a little hike. But again, I can't think of a single store still left there. I think there is a bike shop, but that may have moved too.

Wolfchase and Avenue are a long ways away, but that's what you'd need to do for shopping. How are you getting to Memphis from central IL if you don't have a car? Can you rent one for the day?

A taxi to and from Wolfchase would be about $100. I actually knew someone once that took a taxi from downtown to Wolfchase when she didn't have a car...luckily for her she had rich parents (this was a long time ago though).

Florence, South...
Level Contributor
133 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memphis shopping

You could easily make a day of the zoo, a little shopping in the Cooper-Young district, and dinner. There are a lot of nice restaurants in that area and a lot of great antique shops. Palladio has a nice gallery area, nice small lunch area, along with the antiques. Other restaurants I like in the area are Jasmine's, Tsunami, The Beauty Shop, Paulette's, etc. I can not think of one clothing store in that area that teenagers would be interested in however. Truthfully, I have two teenage girls and if you really want to clothing shop with them, the nicest stores in the Memphis area are in The Avenue-Carriage Crossing Mall. The Macy's store there particularly has a great upscale Junior area and there are a lot of other nice stores as well. Several very good restaurants there as well - my favorites are Stix and Bonefish but there are others, all very good. It is an outdoor mall made to look like a village and it is very attractive for walking around for anyone not into the shopping scene :o) I honestly do not know what a cab would cost you to get there - I think that if you called and asked for a flat rate (tell them you will need the return too) they may make you a deal if you let them know you won't be going if it is too expensive. It is actually an easy shot for a cab, they can get on the Interstate just a mile south of Beale on Riverside and it is all Interstate to The Avenue exit on Houston Levee. You might also consider renting a car for a day or two? It would possibly be the same cost as the cab rides and you could enjoy the out-of-downtown areas, then give it back to the rental company for your other time in the downtown area. It doesn't have to be an all-or-none thing. Enjoy your visit!

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memphis shopping

Oh agreed, there are antique stores in the area, but I guess I don't think of those when I think "shopping with teens." :)

It would be a ton cheaper to just rent a car for the day. You could get a little compact from Avis (downtown) for probably $40 a day. A cab to Collierville would be way more than that. But, you could make a day of the Avenue mall, and like mentioned, eat lunch and dinner there.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
473 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Memphis shopping

Look up the Laurelwood shopping area...it is on Poplar Avenue at Perkins Ave...the shops are spread out but, walkable under a covered walkway..several high end shops and a great teen shop called Sachi carries Free People, Ella Moss, Matrix, Betsy Johnson, shoes, bags, Lacoste, accessories, great stuff but, pricey. Also, has a nice bookstore called Davis-Kidd for lunch.

Diagonally across from the Laurelwood area and directly across from the Oak Court Mall (which has Hollister, Charlotte Rouse, good teen sections at Macy's and Dillard's) are several shops for fashionistas (next to Chilli's restaurant):

Isabella's has best selection of high-end Denim,

Ella Moss knits, basics pima cotton tees, good accessories.

Blu Champagne-high end everything.

Pappagallo-shoes, trendy tops, jewelry, trendy prices.

More Therapy-great shoes.

Pink Door for the all things pink and preppy and Vineyard Vine selection.

Around the corner, from the Oak Court Mall is the William Sonoma/Pottery Barn outlets-great items with great prices.

Also, very cute little shop called Crazy Beautiful off of Highland St. at Walker near the University of Memphis for great tops, hip party dresses, shoes.

There are great shops here in Memphis...you just have to drive a bit :)

Happy Shopping!

Taxi will be expensive...consider hiring a car for the day or renting one.

Central illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Memphis shopping

Thanks for all of the ideas! Will look into car rental for a day.