We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel should i pick?

Queensland
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel should i pick?

I am trying to choose between these three hotels and am undecided which one would be best for us. The most important thing for us is location - i want to feel safe walking to Beale st - BB King's etc as it'll be a Monday night so i'm not sure how many people are out and about then.

The Westin $254

Springhill Suites $218 (includes breakfast buffet)

Residence Inn $230 (includes breakfast)

Hampton Inn & Suites $243

The prices are in AU$, which hotel would you pick? I think i would probably prefer to go with one that includes breakfast, but i do like the sounds of the Westin location.

Any advice appreciated...thanks

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel should i pick?

I haven't stayed at the Westin yet, and agree that the location is great, but all these are within walking distance of Beale Street.

We've stayed at the Hampton Inn and the Residence Inn and both are nice, but in my opinion the Residence Inn is much better. Not only do all the rooms have fully equipped kitchens, but the breakfast is FAR superior to the Hampton Inn's.

Of the four choices I would feel slightly less comfortable walking to Springhill Suites as it's a little farther away and the area is a little less populated.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel should i pick?

They are all safe and walking distance to Beale. Westin is right on Beale, but that has its downsides too. If you want breakfast included, pick one of those. Residence Inn always gets high marks.

Barnhart
Level Contributor
605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel should i pick?

Hampton Inn is the absolute best location, period!

It also includes breakfast.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
110 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel should i pick?

I would go for the Westin. It is by far the nicest of the ones that you ave listed.

Barnhart
Level Contributor
605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel should i pick?

And the Westin's in the 2nd best location!

Houston, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel should i pick?

I am a native Memphian, born and raised there, but Memphis has unfortunately become a very dangerous place since I lived there. It generally makes the top of the list for crime in cities of its size.

Since you're planning to walk, I would pick the hotel closest to Beale Street, etc., and pick one with a good concierge service so that they can advise you of which places are safe and which are not.

It's probably prohibitively expensive for you to stay at the Peabody Hotel, but even so, do stop by and perhaps have a meal there. Try to be there when the ducks from the fountain downstairs walk to the elevator and go to the top floor for the evening. I'm not sure of the time, but you can sit in the beautiful lobby and have a drink while you wait. There are several restaurants connected to the hotel, varying in price and sophistication; all would be good, but when you're downtown, do try to go to the Rendezvous for barbeque - a Memphis tradition. Ask at your hotel for directions, and you may want to take a cab - it's in a dark alley.

You might want to check out an African American tour of Memphis - you'll get a glimpse of the Memphis that gave rise to many of the social movements of the sixties. Being a white person growing up in the very segregated Memphis of the fifties and sixties, there were parts of town I had never seen until I took the tour in the nineties. Also, don't miss the National Civil Rights Museum, which is downtown and really worth seeing.

Hope this had been helpful. Feel free to write me with any questions.

Carol Butler

Houston, Texas

cbutler1467@gmail.com

chicagoland
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel should i pick?

I was interested in the same question. I have three kids, the oldest is 8. We will be on a road trip and are only passing through the Memphis area in mid July and planned on only staying over for one night to rest. At best, we have late afternoon, early evening(dinner hour) to check things out. Looking for nice family place to eat.Considering the crime factor, is it safe to go to Mud Island in the evening? I am assuming Beale street is no place for kids in the evening...or am I wrong. Also, would you recommend staying outside of Memphis for the night instead? I grew up in Chicago my entire life, and downtown is great, but of course crime is a problem here too. We live in suburbs now. Thanks for your honesty and as we all hope, hope things improve in your great city.Thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
454 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel should i pick?

One of my friends and I are at the Residence in right now. We have been perfectly fine, walking all over day and night. Last night, on Saturday on Beale street, it reminded me of Bourbon street in New Orleans. Very college, spring break, relaxed, interesting people watching, drinks served off the sidewalk (checking IDs) - BUT police everywhere at all ends of Beale street (on horses, on foot and in cars) - at no time did we (two women alone) feel unsafe. Residence Inn is close - as is Hampton, Peabody. The Residence Inn has a great breakfast included and you can ask for larger suites when you check in. The folks that work the front desk and valet are so nice and wonderful; I am a Marriott fan, and this place has just reinforced it. All in all - I would not worry. I have three kids and I would think of downtown as any downtown; perhaps not where I would take a teenager under 18, after it gets dark - but not because it is unsafe. Because I do not particularly want them around drinking and silly behavior (they would be cringing as they read this).

chicagoland
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel should i pick?

Wow that was a fast response. Based on price, and based on the fact we are only staying over for rest as we pass on through to another destination...with three kids, do you have any opinions on where to eat for dinner? I checked the Peabody Ducks and it looks like the ducks walk back to bed at 5pm....we will be arriving late afternoon and would love to catch that and then eat dinner. Peabody looks a bit pricey for a family of 5 just passing through. We were looking at Comfort Inn, Hampton Inn, Residence Inn. Comfort Inn is the cheapest and nearest Mud Island. I dont know how close it is to Beale Street. Any input is great.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel should i pick?

Be aware that you need to get to the lobby at least an hour in advance to get a place if you want to see the ducks. It's a huge crowd.

There are hundreds of places to eat downtown of all types.