We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help - Hilton on Ridge Lage or Hampton on Poplar

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lkm
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel help - Hilton on Ridge Lage or Hampton on Poplar

Hi,

I am coming down to Memphis for a long weekend Nov. 8th. We were planning to stay at the Hampton on Beale st (where my bf has stayed before) but it is booked! Is there something going on that week? Should we keep trying to get in there? The two hotels we were looking at were the Hampton on Poplar or the Hilton. What are those like location wise?

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help - Hilton on Ridge Lage or Hampton on Poplar

Yikes, that is COGIC week. If possible, pick a different week. Tens of thousands of religious fanatics come into Memphis that weekend, with their main convention being downtown. Church of God in Christ, a predominantly black religion. Talk to any entertainment type worker (waitress, bartender, etc) and they will tell you - this is the worst week of the year. You will not be able to stay downtown that week, nor would you want to. I'm sure the church has a hold on amost all rooms downtown and elsewhere.

The Hilton is nice, out in east Memphis. I think the Hampton Inn is nearby...Ridge Lake? I'm not sure which that is, but if it's on Poplar near the Hilton, it's a fine area. About a 20-30 minute drive to downtown.

But honestly, if you are coming into town to do anything "touristy" and to spend a lot of time downtown, I'd pick a different weekend. COGIC is Nov 3-10 or something like that. Check their website.

lkm
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help - Hilton on Ridge Lage or Hampton on Poplar

Well... unfortunately it is too late to change my plans! Is it really going to be that bad? What events does this organization plan? Maybe I can plan around them?

lkm
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel help - Hilton on Ridge Lage or Hampton on Poplar

Well... unfortunately it is too late to change my plans! Is it really going to be that bad? What events does this organization plan? Maybe I can plan around them?

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel help - Hilton on Ridge Lage or Hampton on Poplar

It's a week-long religious convention. The issue is the sheer # of people who will be in town, eating at restaurants, shopping, blocking traffic, etc. I think it's about 40,000 people, all downtown at the convention. People nortorious for horrible tipping, or not tipping at all, slow driving, being loud, obnoxious, rude to people, etc. I'm not exaggerating about it - just personal experience and knowledge of what friends who work in those areas say.

Regardless, if you plan on being downtown at all that weekend, be sure to plan everything ahead. Make restaurant reservations now, buy tickets to things now (Graceland, Stax, Rock & Soul) if you can, etc. If you plan on going out on Beale, expect a crowd (supposedly they don't drink alcohol, but that's a load of ___ from what I have seen year after year).

You may not notice a big difference, since you don't live here and you may not tell the difference between a normal weekend and this weekend. But for those of us who live and work downtown...not a fun week.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,698 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel help - Hilton on Ridge Lage or Hampton on Poplar

Hamtpon Inn on Poplar is located at Poplar and Estate. The Hampton Inn on Walnut Grove or Shady Grove are both a little closer to interstate access for going downtown, to Graceland, etc.

6. Re: Hotel help - Hilton on Ridge Lage or Hampton on Poplar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2008, 11:18
7. Re: Hotel help - Hilton on Ridge Lage or Hampton on Poplar

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,698 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel help - Hilton on Ridge Lage or Hampton on Poplar

If you'll note, this person has already been on their trip.

9. Re: Hotel help - Hilton on Ridge Lage or Hampton on Poplar

10. Re: Hotel help - Hilton on Ridge Lage or Hampton on Poplar

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 21:16