We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's in a short trip

Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Must do's in a short trip

Hi,

I'll be stopping overnight in Memphis & will have a few evening hour and couple of morning hours to do some site seeing. What are some of the places I can check out. What are some good streets for driving around & walking? Are there any must see places? If you guys can suggest a few places, that will be great!

Thx!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do's in a short trip

You don't mention where you are staying. I would suggest staying downtown and checking out Beale Street (lots of restaurants, bars and music clubs on a pedestrian only street), Gibson Guitar Factory, Rock and Soul Museum, Sun Studios, Civil Rights Museum, etc. If you're an Elvis fan, you'll want to see Graceland, which is away from downtown. It takes maybe half a day to see it.

See other posts on here that ask similar questions.

2. Re: Must do's in a short trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2008, 19:07
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do's in a short trip

Explorer, best to ignore some posts on here by folks with a vendetta against Memphis for unknown reasons. You will have no problem filling your few hours you have with good dining and site seeing.

Barnhart
Level Contributor
605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do's in a short trip

I agree, start with the Rock and Soul Museum (the only Smithsonian outside of D.C.), and if interested in more details, hit Sun Studios and Stax (go to Stax in the daytime, bad neighborhood at night).

And of course Graceland if interested in Elvis.

If you stay downtown you can walk to Rock and Soul. Sun is a very short drive (maybe 5 minutes) and Stax is a bit farther (maybe 10-15). And Graceland just a bit farther than Stax.

I think there may be a shuttle operated by Graceland between Sun, Rock and Soul, and Graceland, but you'd have to check on that.

5. Re: Must do's in a short trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Memphis