We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Father's Day Weekend....

baton rouge, la
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Father's Day Weekend....

Hi....my husband and I will be in Memphis over Father's Day weekend. We're staying at the Peabody. Does anyone know if parking is included in the Peabody daily rate? We're coming up from Baton Rouge. Any suggestios on best route to the Peabody once we're in the city?

So far I've planned on the Gibson Guitar factory tour (hopefully Friday to see it in action - if not, Sat or Sun will do), Sun Studio (from reading here, I think it best not to walk there), and Graceland maybe Sunday on the way home. Any other suggestions welcome.

I've read about a Saturday evening cemetery tour. Might sound odd to some but does anyone know about this - maybe it's far from downtown? Also, are there any clubs along Beale St. geared more to those over 40 yo?

Questions, questions. Thanks in advance for any info and suggestions.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Father's Day Weekend....

I reckon you will come up I-55.Continue on I-55 at the 240 intersection and Follow along riverside drive and turn right onto Union Avenue.

I am pretty sure the Peabody charges for self parking I think I saw $16 a day somewhere but I could be wrong.

This may be what you are looking for with the cemetery tour.

www.memphistours.us/tours/tourType.cfm…

Don't know about the clubs, not a drinker.

baton rouge, la
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Father's Day Weekend....

Thank you for the info. As for the clubs, my thinking is that Beale St. might be more for the youth scene. I'm wondering if there are any good blues or jazz clubs - more for music listening than drinking. ....Although, we wouldn't mind a glass of wine, a cold beer, or cocktail while listening.

Thanks, again!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Father's Day Weekend....

Try this website, you should get a good idea what you can do. Enjoy Memphis

www.bealestreet.com

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Father's Day Weekend....

I think the age group on Beale Street is more correlated to the time of night than it is to the bar/restaurant. The later it gets, the younger the crowd is.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Father's Day Weekend....

I find that the different clubs and restaurants (many of which offer live music) appeal to different age groups. They do offer cover charge wristbands on Friday nights only for $10. You could buy one of those and then go in and out as you please to see what you like.

I'm not familiar with the cemetery tour. That sounds like the kind of thing that my son likes. Post a link about it if you can and maybe we can provide more info.

baton rouge, la
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Father's Day Weekend....

Thank you all. We'll do Beale St at a reasonable hour. Leaves more time for eating. ;)

Here's the cememtery link (I hope):

www.elmwoodcemetery.org/main/visitors.htm

Someone told me it was lovely. They aren't offering the docent-led tour the weekend we're there - I'm glad I checked!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Father's Day Weekend....

Elmwood is lovely. Note that you can rent a cd player in their office anytime for $10 and do your own audio tour or you can pick up a free guide anytime and do your own walking/driving tour. Many, many famous Memphians are buried there as well as mass graves from yellow fever victims, a memorial to all those who have donated their bodies to UT med school over the years, etc. It is very cool. We took a group of Cub Scouts there once and let them make rubbings from some of the more unique markers. I personally have friends who like to picnic there regularly.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Father's Day Weekend....

Also, I see from their calendar that they have something called evening stroll the Friday of your trip here. You might contact them and see what that is.

www.elmwoodcemetery.org/pdfs/calendar.pdf

baton rouge, la
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Father's Day Weekend....

I'll definitely check into the evening stroll.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
808 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Father's Day Weekend....

Plan to go to the Stax Musuem for about an hour or hour and a half. Also, be sure you don't miss the Civil Rights Museum. We also have a fantastic zoo that is very entertaining for kids of all ages. The Gibson Guitar museum is very interesting. Don't miss Graceland. The basic tour is very well done. Spend 30 minutes in the gift shops across the street from the mansion--- Great place to pick up some Christmas cards.