We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a car to get around Memphis??

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Do I need a car to get around Memphis??

I would like to check out Memphis for a weekend, see Graceland and Beale street. Do I need to rent a car?

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a car to get around Memphis??

You can catch a free shuttle from downtown to Graceland to Sun Studios, but you must take the Sun Studio tour to use it. If you only plan to see Graceland and nothing else away from downtown and you plan to stay downtown, you'll be fine without a car. But, to access other areas, you'll want your own wheels.

Germantown, TN
Level Contributor
18 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a car to get around Memphis??

Yes, though as another poster mentioned, there are shuttles to specific points. If you drive yourself around, be very careful as carjackings and other crimes are unusally high here. While driving, keep your distance from other cars even more than you perhaps normally would as drivers here are very unpredictable. Get the optional damage and liability insurance from your rental company!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
151 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a car to get around Memphis??

Rather than starting a new topic, I thought I'd add my own similar question here. I'll be in Memphis this evening and had originally set up a car rental, but realized I would only be using the car once, which would be to get from the east side of Memphis (just east of 240 near exit 15) to Rendezvous and back. I'd imagine I could arrange for a taxi from the hotel downtown to Rendezvous, but my question is whether I will have an easy time finding a taxi back to the hotel?

Sorry if this seems silly, but I live in a city where taxis are plentiful and have often found myself surprised at the absence of taxis in other cities.

Thanks for your help.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a car to get around Memphis??

Cabs definitely aren't as plentiful in Memphis as in Chicago; I wouldn't want to rely on being able to hail one. Your hotel can probably give you advice about what cab company to call when you're finished in the downtown area.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a car to get around Memphis??

Also, the Peabody and the DoubleTree are very near the Rendezvous. I always see cabs at the Peabody, near the main entrance (which seems like the back of the hotel to me) -- on 2nd Street.

6. Re: Do I need a car to get around Memphis??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2010, 05:17