We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best BBQ walking distance from Madison Hotel

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottesville
Level Contributor
333 posts
261 reviews
Save Topic
best BBQ walking distance from Madison Hotel

I'm going to be staying in the Madison Hotel in downtown Memphis in December and will not have a car. What is the best BBQ, for the money, within walking distance of my hotel? (I know that Rendezvous is close, but I also hear it's a little touristy and overpriced these days.) Also, let me know if you have any local favorites other than BBQ (such as seafood?) within walking distance that are also great values for the money. thanks!

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best BBQ walking distance from Madison Hotel

Hi,

The Madison is a good position from which to walk to various eating spots.

Barbecue wise, not a lot of the famed Memphis cue is located Downtown, however The Blues City Cafe has the best "wet" ribs in the neighborhood. It is located at Beale and second - about four blocks from your hotel. The good thing about it is that you can have a window on this area's street personality, and either Rockabilly or Blues entertainment at night with your ribs. To get decent pulled pork shoulder you must go to Central BBQ, Corky's, Interstate, etcetera, etcetera. Memphis isn't on the coast of course, so you can't easily find fresh caught seafood, but within range of the Madison is the Flying Fish near the Peabody Hotel and Pearl's Oyster Bar, just a 10 minute trolley ride down Main Street. F.F. has good fried fish baskets and fish camp atmosphere, and Pearl's should have good Oysters on The Half Shell plus full seafood menu.

Gastro Pub is a 2 - 3 block walk south on Main, and has good pub grub and conversation, and Bardog's is one block and has the same and is a crowded local watering hole at night. Flight is one block south at Monroe & Main. It's more expensive and has "flights" of three varieties of fish or beef or other meat entrees and other flights. The fish entrees are very good. At that same intersection (Monroe & Main) are two more award winners: McEwens and Felicia Suzannes. Have fun!

Barnhart
Level Contributor
605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best BBQ walking distance from Madison Hotel

I 2nd Blues City. Good glazed babybacks.

And I know it's hard to believe, but Sikly O'Sullivan's, yes, an Irish place, has some very good dry rub ribs.

And of course Rendezvous which you either love or hate. I like them for something a bit different. BBQ purist hate them as their technically grilled. But there's a fine line between the two in my opinion.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best BBQ walking distance from Madison Hotel

A & R is about 6 blocks. Give em a try.

A & R Bar B Que @ 22 North 3rd Street, Memphis, TN 901 - 524 - 5242.

http://www.aandrbbq.com/

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best BBQ walking distance from Madison Hotel

All great places, Just remember that everyone likes different things, there isn't really anyone that can say where the No.1 BBQ joint in Memphis is, All we can say is what we like and give our opinion as to some favourites, and sure say whither its someplace we wouldn't miss if it closed.

Don't anyone think I'm trying to put people off having a BBQ debate as I love to hear if someone has enjoyed a certain place or not, just remember everyone can have their own favourite place or 2. The only thing I don't eat in town is shrimp lol. I'm not keen on the fries at Kooky Canucks, everything else there I like, What did that place used to be called? Was it Big Foot Lodge?

Take The Cupboard as an example some people from out of town may not like half of the menu there but people from the Mid South would look at them as if they were crazy, the main reason I don't eat there as much as I would as they won't let the people that I go in there with pay, so they don't like to go lol, So we head to Paulette's which is fine by me anytime.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best BBQ walking distance from Madison Hotel

Yes, it was Big Foot Lodge, but there was some kind of law suit filed by another restaurant (not in Memphis) of the same name. So, they changed their name here.

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
333 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best BBQ walking distance from Madison Hotel

thanks for all the great suggestions!

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: best BBQ walking distance from Madison Hotel

I'd like to second McEwens and Felicia Suzanne's - not for barbeque, but for really good food.

Another restaurant in that area is Flight, and though I've seen the menu (it looks great!) I haven't eaten there yet.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best BBQ walking distance from Madison Hotel

You're so welcome. Have a good trip.

9. Re: best BBQ walking distance from Madison Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2011, 07:24